Order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2-?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the reaction order for a given reaction using experimental data. It is noted that the reaction order cannot be determined by the amount of reactants used and that a ratio of reactant amounts may not accurately reflect the reaction order. The formula for determining the reaction order involves plotting a graph of the reaction rate versus the concentration of each reactant and considering the exponent of the concentration term in the rate law equation. There may be discrepancies in the data and calculations, leading to confusion about the reaction order. It is suggested to carefully analyze the data and repeat the experiment if necessary. It is also important to consider that each reactant may have a different rate constant and should not be assumed to have the same reaction order.
member 392791
What is the reaction order supposed to be for this reaction of each one? I got 1 for I- and 2 for S2O8, but I think it should be 1 for both of them. Can anyone confirm?? These were the numbers I found experimentally

The reason for concern here is that I did a ratio because I used twice as much s2o8 for reaction 1, then twice as much for 2, etc. The ratio should be r1/r2 = 2^x, r2/r3 = 2^x, etc. The problem is that r1/r2 gave x=3.8, when the other two gave 1.6 and 1.2, and we are supposed to find the average to get the reaction order. The average rounds off to 2, but that is because of the major outlier of 3.8. I checked and to find R you use 6.3x10^-4 / time of reaction to get the R's. I looked at the class data and everyone got the same reaction times as me, so either we all got it wrong or it is a 2nd order reaction.

The I- gave 0.8, 1.2, and 1.0 which gave a nice y=1 for the average, so its a first order. There is no cause for alarm because they are all close to each other. Would I use the same number for the s2o8 as i-, the 6.3x10^-4/time? that number came from the formula

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
for the rate law

it is important to carefully analyze and interpret experimental data to determine the correct reaction order for a given reaction. In this case, it appears that there may be some discrepancies in the data and calculations, leading to confusion about the reaction order.

Firstly, it is important to note that the reaction order is not determined by the amount of reactants used, but rather by the rate of the reaction as the concentration of reactants changes. Therefore, using a ratio of reactant amounts may not accurately reflect the reaction order.

Additionally, the formula for determining the reaction order is not simply the ratio of the reactant concentrations. It involves plotting a graph of the reaction rate versus the concentration of each reactant, and determining the slope of the line. The reaction order is then equal to the exponent of the concentration term in the rate law equation.

In this case, it appears that the experimental data for the reaction rate versus the concentration of S2O8 may not be consistent with a first-order reaction. It is possible that there were errors in measuring the reaction times or concentrations, leading to the outlier of 3.8 in the ratio calculation. It may be necessary to repeat the experiment and carefully double-check all measurements to ensure accuracy.

As for the question of using the same number for S2O8 as I-, it is important to note that each reactant may have a different rate constant, which would affect the overall reaction rate and the reaction order. Therefore, it is not appropriate to use the same number for both reactants without further analysis.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully analyze experimental data and use proper methods to determine the reaction order for a given reaction. If there are discrepancies or outliers in the data, it may be necessary to repeat the experiment and ensure accuracy in measurements. Additionally, each reactant may have a different rate constant and should not be assumed to have the same reaction order.

Related to Order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2-?

1. What is the order of reaction with respect to I^-?

The order of reaction with respect to I^- is the exponent to which the concentration of I^- is raised in the rate law equation. It determines how the rate of the reaction changes with respect to changes in the concentration of I^-.

2. What is the order of reaction with respect to S2O8^2-?

The order of reaction with respect to S2O8^2- is the exponent to which the concentration of S2O8^2- is raised in the rate law equation. It determines how the rate of the reaction changes with respect to changes in the concentration of S2O8^2-.

3. How is the order of reaction with respect to I^- determined?

The order of reaction with respect to I^- is determined experimentally by conducting the reaction at different initial concentrations of I^- and measuring the corresponding reaction rates. The order is then calculated using the rate law equation.

4. Can the order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2- be different?

Yes, the order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2- can be different. This means that the rate of the reaction is affected differently by changes in the concentrations of I^- and S2O8^2-.

5. How does the order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2- affect the overall rate of the reaction?

The overall rate of the reaction is determined by the slowest step in the reaction mechanism, which may involve different reactants. The order of reaction with respect to I^- and S2O8^2- only affects the rate of the reaction in the specific step in which they are involved.