Order of multi-variable integration of infinite range

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the phase of the electric field at a given point x in a system where the source is uniformly distributed from -∞ to ∞. The Green's function for the electric field is given as G(x,x')=e^(-i(x-x')^2) and the phase at x is found to be -π/4. It is also mentioned that the phase may be independent of x and an additional calculation is shown to support this. Ultimately, the final conclusion is that the phase of the electric field at x is -π/4.
cutemango3

Homework Statement

If the Green's function of the electric field in a system is

[tex] G(x,x')=e^{-i(x-x')^2}[/tex]

I want to calculate the phase of the electric field at [itex] x [/itex] if the source is uniformly distributed at [itex]x'=-\infty [/itex] to [itex]x'=\infty[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Then, the phase of the field at [itex]x[/itex] may be

[tex] \theta_1\equiv Arg\Big[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-i(x-x')^2}dx'\Big]=Arg\Big[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ix'^2}dx'\Big]=Arg[1-i]=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

The phase of the field may be independent from [itex] x[/itex]. So, I calculate the following:
[tex]\theta_2\equiv Arg \Big[ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-i(x-x')^2}dxdx' \Big] =Arg \Big[ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-i(x^2-2xx'+x'^2)}dxdx' \Big]=Arg \Big[ \int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{2\pi}e^{-ir^2(1-\sin 2\phi)}d\phi dr \Big]
=Arg \Big[ 2\pi \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-ir^2}J_0(r^2) dr \Big]
[/tex]

[itex]\theta_1 =\theta_2 [/itex]? I think that that should be the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then, the phase of the electric field at x if the source is uniformly distributed at x'=-\infty to x'=\infty should be \theta_1 =-\frac{\pi}{4}.Is my solution correct?Thanks in advance !

Related to Order of multi-variable integration of infinite range

1. What is the order of multi-variable integration of infinite range?

The order of multi-variable integration of infinite range refers to the sequence in which the variables in a multi-variable integral are integrated. In this case, the integration is done over an infinite range, meaning the limits of integration are from negative infinity to positive infinity.

2. How is the order of integration determined in multi-variable integration?

The order of integration is determined by considering the most suitable variable to integrate first. This is usually the variable with the simplest limits of integration or the variable that is easiest to integrate. The remaining variables are then integrated one by one, from the innermost integral to the outermost integral.

3. What is the importance of the order of integration in multi-variable integration?

The order of integration is important because it affects the outcome of the integral. Different orders of integration can result in different values for the integral, and some orders may be more difficult or impossible to solve. It is important to carefully consider the order of integration to ensure accurate results.

4. Can the order of integration be changed in multi-variable integration?

Yes, the order of integration can be changed as long as the integral is evaluated correctly. However, changing the order of integration may result in a more complex integral or may make the integral impossible to solve. It is important to carefully consider the order of integration before making any changes.

5. What are some common methods for determining the order of integration in multi-variable integration of infinite range?

There are a few common methods for determining the order of integration in multi-variable integration of infinite range. These include using symmetry, considering the behavior of the integrand at the limits of integration, and using substitution to simplify the integral. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the functions involved and their relationships to determine the most suitable order of integration.