Orbit changes, Kepler's Third Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the Tidal effects in the Earth-Moon system and how it is causing the Moon's orbital period to increase at a rate of 35 ms per century. The conversation then suggests using the differentiation of Kepler's third law to find a relationship between the rate of increase of the period and the rate of increase of the orbit's semi-major axis. The conversation also clarifies that the derivative of Kepler's third law with respect to time is relevant in this problem, and not the equation 2T/r^3. Finally, the conversation discusses the value of da/dt and how it can be calculated given a value for dT/dt and Kepler's third law.
jcook735
Tidal effects in the Earth-Moon system are causing the Moon's orbital period to increase at a current rate of about 35 ms per century. Assuming the Moon's orbit around the Earth is circular, to what rate of change in the Earth-Moon distance does this correspond? Hint: differentiate Kepler's third law.

Homework Equations

I know that I need to use T2 over r3 = T2 over r3

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the moon's period (27.3 days) to ms and putting the 35 ms into ms per day into ms per century, but that yielded no results, since the number was so small the ms/day didnt change the moon's period at all in my calculator, maybe I am supposed to do this one by hand? This method doesn't seem feasible sicne i will have to be squaring things, can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you might begin by setting aside the calculator and performing the suggested differentiation (symbolically). Differentiate Kepler's third law with respect to time to find a relationship between the rate of increase of period and the rate of increase of the orbit's semi-major axis.

Isnt the differentiate of Kepler's Third law my relevant equation?

jcook735 said:
Isnt the differentiate of Kepler's Third law my relevant equation?
Where have you calculated the derivative of Kepler's third law with respect to time?

Oh is that T2=4(pi)2r3 / GM?

the only other thing i could think of is 2T over r cubed but that doesn't seem right..

T is the period, not time. You have been given DT/dt.

Given a value for dT/dt, and given Kepler's third law, what is da/dt?

Related to Orbit changes, Kepler's Third Law

What is an orbit change?

An orbit change refers to any alteration in the path that a celestial body takes around another object. This can be caused by various factors such as gravitational forces or external influences.

What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of its semi-major axis. This law helps to explain the relationship between a planet's distance from the sun and the amount of time it takes to complete one orbit.

How do orbit changes affect a planet's trajectory?

Depending on the type and magnitude of the orbit change, it can significantly alter a planet's trajectory. For example, a change in a planet's semi-major axis can cause it to move closer or farther away from the sun, resulting in changes in its orbital speed and distance from other planets.

What are some reasons for orbit changes?

Orbit changes can occur due to a variety of factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, the presence of a third body, or changes in the mass or shape of the orbiting body. Human activities, such as space missions and satellite launches, can also cause intentional orbit changes.

Can orbit changes be predicted?

Yes, orbit changes can be predicted using mathematical models and simulations based on our understanding of gravitational forces and celestial mechanics. However, some factors, such as the influence of other objects, can make it challenging to accurately predict the exact changes in an orbit.