Optimizing Your Urban Homestead with Backyard Chickens

• Thread starter RedR49
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, The Backyard Chickens is a resource for raising chickens in urban areas. The conversation discusses personal experiences with chickens, including their personalities and quirks. There is also a mention of how chickens can be raised for eggs without the strong smell of manure. It is recommended to let chickens roam free, but if they must be kept in a pen, providing clean wood chips can help control the smell.
RedR49
The Backyard Chickens

The Backyard Chickens gives you information about raising chickens in the city. We try to provide information to help you have a successful and enjoyable time raising your chickens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We live in a neighborhood that has CC&Rs that don't allow chickens :mad:. Too bad, because I love them. We had them at our old house...so comical! Each had its own personality and quirks.

Never ate the meat, only the eggs. In the long summer days, we'd sometimes get 7 eggs from our 6 chickens! I never could figure out who the over-achiever was, though.

But after a certain age they don't lay eggs anymore - they go through henopause :-p.

lisab said:
We live in a neighborhood that has CC&Rs that don't allow chickens :mad:. Too bad, because I love them. We had them at our old house...so comical! Each had its own personality and quirks.

Never ate the meat, only the eggs. In the long summer days, we'd sometimes get 7 eggs from our 6 chickens! I never could figure out who the over-achiever was, though.

But after a certain age they don't lay eggs anymore - they go through henopause :-p.

Are you really allowed a chicken achievement joke and a chicken pun all in one post?

I can't wait until the day I can raise chickens for eggs! Although I have heard they stink a lot.

Kerrie said:
I can't wait until the day I can raise chickens for eggs! Although I have heard they stink a lot.
If they are allowed to roam during the day, you don't have the smell from manure. They don't poop where they lay, at least that has been my experience and oddly I have spent many years around chickens at farms. My grandmother also had chickens at her place. They laid their eggs in little nooks in the stone walls of the barn.

Evo said:
If they are allowed to roam during the day, you don't have the smell from manure. They don't poop where they lay, at least that has been my experience and oddly I have spent many years around chickens at farms. My grandmother also had chickens at her place. They laid their eggs in little nooks in the stone walls of the barn.

Yes that's usually true, they like to keep a clean nest.

It's best to let them roam free. Such a nice sight to look out your kitchen window and see a few hens scratching and pecking in the yard!

If you have to keep them penned up, it's a good idea to give them clean wood chips to stand on, to control the smell. Cedar works best but pine will do. They'll scratch through the chips to get to the mud, though. Nothing you can really do about that, it's their natural behavior.

lisab said:
It's best to let them roam free. Such a nice sight to look out your kitchen window and see a few hens scratching and pecking in the yard! ...

My sister has hens on the chateau. That looks to be a rather accurrate clock. At 9:00am they start walking a little path into the woods, at 10:30 they enter the grass field. At noon they are pecking around the pond. At 3pm they enter the horse area and at 7pm they are all back in the pen, which can be locked then for the night.

Related to Optimizing Your Urban Homestead with Backyard Chickens

1. How can I start living a frugal life with my family?

The first step to living a frugal life with your family is to create a budget. This will help you track your expenses and identify areas where you can cut back. Sit down with your family and discuss what expenses are necessary and what can be reduced. You can also look for free or low-cost activities and resources in your community to help save money.

2. Is it possible to still have fun and make memories while living a frugal life?

Absolutely! Living a frugal life does not mean sacrificing fun and making memories with your family. There are many affordable or even free activities you can do together, such as having a picnic, going for a hike, or having a game night at home. You can also get creative and find ways to have fun without spending money, such as DIY projects or exploring your city on foot.

3. How can I involve my children in our frugal lifestyle?

It's important to involve your children in your frugal lifestyle so they understand the value of money and learn good financial habits. You can start by explaining to them why it's important to save money and involve them in creating a budget for the family. You can also teach them how to save money by giving them a small allowance and encouraging them to save a portion of it. Lastly, involve them in fun and frugal activities, and encourage them to come up with their own money-saving ideas.

4. What are some tips for grocery shopping on a budget for a family?

When grocery shopping on a budget, it's important to plan ahead and make a list before heading to the store. Stick to the list and avoid impulse purchases. Look for sales and use coupons to save money. Buying in bulk and opting for store brands can also help reduce costs. Additionally, try to meal plan and cook meals at home instead of eating out.

5. How can I handle unexpected expenses while living a frugal life?

It's important to have an emergency fund in place to handle unexpected expenses while living a frugal life. Set aside a certain amount of money each month for your emergency fund and only use it for true emergencies. You can also try to find ways to cut back on other expenses temporarily to make up for the unexpected expense. Remember to always prioritize your needs over wants when it comes to spending money.