Optimizing Time for a Ball on a Sloped Path: Arc or Chord?

In summary, the problem is to determine which path, defined by a chord or an arc of a circle, will take less time for a ball to reach the lowest point under the influence of its weight. To solve this, we can use the equation for the period of a pendulum or derive it using Newton's Laws or conservation of energy. However, there are also other methods involving approximation with piecewise linear curves and considering paths of multiple equal chords. The teacher has suggested finding the time for the path of a chord, but this is not necessary to answer the question. The student is currently using the small angle approximation and has reached the equation for angular acceleration, but needs to solve a differential equation to find the period of the pendulum.
talisman2212

Homework Statement

We let a ball with mass m to slide down under the influence of his weight the path defined by the chord or the path defined by the arc of the circle until the ball reach the lowest point, as it seems from the picture. In which path the ball will make the shorter time to reach the lowest point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first to compute the time at the path of the arc the problem is the same with the period T of a pendulum which is T=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex] and we are going to have t=[itex]\frac{T}{4}[/itex] but we must not use any known fact about pendulum. I am trying to use Newton's Law F=ma but it's still difficult, I can't find a way to express sinw with L. And even if I find it I don't think I can compute time because the acceleration is not constant.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image (3).bmp
    194.8 KB · Views: 689
Physics news on Phys.org
There are not too many options. Either you use the pendulum result, or derive it. Another option would be to prove that piecewise linear curves approximating the circle give the lesser time of descent the closer they approximate the circle.

Our teacher told us that it can be solved without using the pendulum. I have tried lot of things but can't find it.

Consider the path connecting the same point that consists of two equal chords. Which path is faster: one-chord or two-chord? Then consider the path of four equal chords and so on.

voko said:
Consider the path connecting the same point that consists of two equal chords. Which path is faster: one-chord or two-chord? Then consider the path of four equal chords and so on.

I know how to comptute the time in chord but I can't compute the time in the arc.

You do not need to compute the time in the arc to answer the question in the problem.

voko said:
You do not need to compute the time in the arc to answer the question in the problem.

I know that, but our teacher told us to compute it anyway.

Your options are listed in #2.

voko said:
Your options are listed in #2.

How I will derive it?

You derive it by solving the equation of motion, which you could get from the laws of Newton or conservation of energy.

voko said:
You derive it by solving the equation of motion, which you could get from the laws of Newton or conservation of energy.

I used the small angle approximation where sin[itex]\theta\approx\theta[/itex] and I'm here: a(t)=-[itex]\frac{L}{g}\theta(t)[/itex] where a(t) is the angular momentum in a given time t. How I will find now that T=2[itex]\pi\sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}[/itex]?

Are you sure a(t) is the angular momentum? Isn't it the angular acceleration?

voko said:
Are you sure a(t) is the angular momentum? Isn't it the angular acceleration?

Sorry, is the angular acceleration. How I find T now?

You have differential equation ## \frac {d^2\theta} {d\theta^2} + \frac L g \theta = 0 ##. Solve it.

Related to Optimizing Time for a Ball on a Sloped Path: Arc or Chord?

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that can freely swing back and forth under the influence of gravity. It is used in many scientific investigations and as a timekeeping device.

2. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum works by converting potential energy into kinetic energy as the weight swings back and forth. When the weight is at its highest point, it has the most potential energy. As it falls towards the bottom, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the weight to swing back up. This process repeats as the pendulum continues to swing.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum, or the time it takes for one complete swing, is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity. The longer the pendulum, the slower the period. The heavier the weight, the slower the period. And the stronger the force of gravity, the faster the period.

4. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one height to another. Inclined planes are commonly used in ramps, stairs, and roads.

5. How does an inclined plane affect the motion of an object?

An inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This allows for a smaller force to be exerted over a longer distance, making it easier to move the object. The angle of the incline also affects the force needed, as a steeper incline requires more force to overcome the resistance of gravity.