Optimizing surface area of a silo

In summary, the equation for the "ratio of height to diameter of base" is H/(2R). So, the ratio of height to diameter of the base is H/(2R + 2).
elitespart
A silo has cylindrical wall, a flat circular floor, and a hemispherical top. If the cost of construction per square foot is twice as great for the hemispherical top as for the walls and the floor, find the ratio of the total height to the diameter of the base that minimizes the total cost of construction.

There was another problem involving the silo which said: for a given volume, find the ratio of the total height to the diameter of the base that minimizes the total surface.

For this I wrote the equation for volume and solved for h and then I plugged that into the equation for area of the silo, derived, set equal to zero and found that radius and height both equal cubed route of 3v/5pi which would make the ratio: h+r/2r = 1.

What do I have to do differently for this question? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
any advice on this? I'm really stuck and this hmwk is due tomorrow.

The cost is proportional to twice the area of the top plus the area of the other parts. That's the only thing you have to change. Minimize cost instead of area.

Dick said:
The cost is proportional to twice the area of the top plus the area of the other parts. That's the only thing you have to change. Minimize cost instead of area.

So I'm just minimizing A = (pi)R^2 + 2(pi)RH + 4(pi)r^2?

Yes.

Thx brotha

So I got R and H = (3V/11pi)^(1/3). Would the ratio be 2H + R / 2R or 3/2?

"So I got R and H = (3V/11pi)^(1/3)"

What does that mean? You got what for R? The "ratio of height to diameter of base" is H/(2R).

well it says total height so the height of the cylinder + the hemisphere which would be
H + R/(2R). I thought that since the hemisphere costs twice as much it would be 2H. And I got R = H = (3V/11pi)^(1/3). So where'd I mess up? Thanks.

Related to Optimizing surface area of a silo

1. What is the purpose of optimizing the surface area of a silo?

The main purpose of optimizing the surface area of a silo is to maximize its storage capacity while minimizing the cost of construction. This can also help to improve the efficiency of material handling and reduce spoilage.

2. How is the surface area of a silo calculated?

The surface area of a silo is calculated by adding the area of the bottom and top of the silo to the lateral surface area. The lateral surface area can be calculated by multiplying the circumference of the silo by its height.

3. What factors affect the surface area of a silo?

The shape and size of the silo, as well as the type of material being stored, can affect the surface area. Additionally, the angle of repose of the material and the desired storage capacity can also impact the surface area of a silo.

4. How can the surface area of a silo be optimized?

The surface area of a silo can be optimized by choosing the right shape and size for the specific material being stored. Additionally, using an appropriate angle of repose and considering the desired storage capacity can also help to optimize the surface area.

5. Are there any benefits to optimizing the surface area of a silo?

Yes, there are several benefits to optimizing the surface area of a silo. These include maximizing storage capacity, reducing construction costs, improving material handling efficiency, and minimizing spoilage. Additionally, an optimized silo can also help to reduce maintenance and operational costs in the long run.