Optimizing Resultant Forces: Finding Maximum and Minimum Magnitudes

In summary, the three horizontal forces of magnitudes 8N, 15N, and 20N can be altered in direction to result in a minimum magnitude of 0N and a maximum magnitude when all three forces are in the same direction. This can be demonstrated visually through head to tail addition of the vectors.
Needhelp2
Three horizontal forces of magnitudes 8N, 15N and 20N act at a point. The 8N and 15N are at right angles to each other. The force 20N makes an angle of 150 degrees with the the 8N force and an angle of 120 degrees with the 15N force.

State the greatest and least possible magnitudes of the resultant force if the directions of the three horizontal forces can be altered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the question had many parts, the last one ( the one above) threw me (Nerd)
Thank you!

sorry for the poor diagram!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 66
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe that the greatest magnitude will be when they all have the same direction and the minimum magnitude will be when two are in one direction and the third is in the opposite. This can be demonstrated visually by head to tail addition. I know this is true for two vectors and I don't see why it shouldn't apply to three.

Jameson said:
I believe that the greatest magnitude will be when they all have the same direction and the minimum magnitude will be when two are in one direction and the third is in the opposite. This can be demonstrated visually by head to tail addition. I know this is true for two vectors and I don't see why it shouldn't apply to three.

[EDIT] This post is completely wrong, as shown by Opalg's post below. Please disregard.

You can actually get a zero magnitude resultant vector in a fairly straightforward manner, at least in this problem. Solution: put the 20N force going straight left, and the 15N force going straight right. Then put the 8N force at an angle such that its x-component is +5. You can use the inverse cosine function to find out what angle that will be (there are actually two solutions, of course). Since you can't get a negative magnitude for the resultant vector, this will be the minimum.

Last edited:
View attachment 162
To get the forces in equilibrium (so that the resultant force has zero magnitude), arrange their directions so as to form a closed triangle, as in the diagram.

Attachments

• forces.png
    forces.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 55
Thank you so much! It came up in my Mechanics mock, so the fact I couldn't do it worried me slightly... But the simple solution makes me feel a bit better :)

Related to Optimizing Resultant Forces: Finding Maximum and Minimum Magnitudes

1. What is the role of trigonometry in mechanics?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between the sides and angles of triangles. In mechanics, trigonometry is used to calculate and analyze the motion and forces of objects in various systems. It helps in determining the direction, distance, and speed of an object, as well as the forces acting upon it.

2. How is trigonometry used in resolving forces?

In mechanics, forces are often represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. Trigonometry is used to resolve these vectors into their horizontal and vertical components, making it easier to analyze their effects on the object's motion. This is commonly known as the cosine and sine rules.

3. What is the significance of trigonometry in projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. Trigonometry is used to analyze the trajectory of the object, including its range, maximum height, and time of flight. It is also used to calculate the initial velocity and angle of projection for the desired trajectory.

4. How does trigonometry help in understanding rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, and it is commonly seen in machinery, vehicles, and other systems. Trigonometry is used to calculate the angular velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the object in rotational motion. It also helps in analyzing the forces acting upon the object, such as torque and centripetal force.

5. Can trigonometry be applied to real-life situations in mechanics?

Yes, trigonometry is widely used in real-life situations in mechanics. It is used in engineering, architecture, navigation, and other fields to analyze and calculate various mechanical systems. For example, it is used in designing bridges, calculating the strength of materials, and determining the trajectory of projectiles in sports such as golf and baseball.