Optimizing L'Hopital's Rule for Limits with Logarithmic Functions

In summary, the problem is to find the limit of a function as s approaches 0. The function has a polynomial with a higher power in the vicinity of 0, making it more complicated to deal with.
LinkMage
I have to solve this:

[tex]
\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} s^4 (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})
[/tex]

Here is what I did so far:

[tex]
\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{s^4}{\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8}} = [/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{4s^3}{\frac{-\frac{1}{2s}}{(\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2}} = [/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{4s^3}{-\frac{1}{2s (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2}} = [/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{12s^2}{\frac{2 (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2 + 2 (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})} {[2s (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2]^2}} = 0 [/tex]

Is this OK? If not, can someone help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you didn't get the product rule quite right in your second use of L'Hospital's.

You may find it simpler if you look at (1/2)Ln(s) to be the Ln (s^1/2)

(It MAY reduce the problem to only one use of L'Hospital's) :)

Last edited:
Did you stop to check if the conditions of l'hopital were satisfied before you applied it a second time? What is

[tex]\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}}-\frac{1}{2s (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2}[/tex]

This isn't really any easier to answer than your original question.

You might want to try going back to the start and try a different rearrangement to get it into a form you can apply l'hopital to.

You mean that:

[tex]
\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{4s^3}{-\frac{1}{2s (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2}} = 0 [/tex]

And that the problem ends there?

Last edited:
No, the problem doesn't end until you know what the limit is! (Or show that there is no limit.) Do what Shmoe said, "You might want to try going back to the start and try a different rearrangement to get it into a form you can apply l'hopital to."

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. I arranged the function in the first step to get a "0/0" indetermination and applied L'Hopital to that.

Can you show me what you would do please?

I just want to point out that at this stage:

LinkMage said:
[tex]
\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} \frac{4s^3}{-\frac{1}{2s (\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2}}[/tex]

this limit is the same as:

[tex]
\lim_{\substack{s\rightarrow 0^+}} -8s^4(\frac{1}{2} ln (s) - \frac{1}{8})^2[/tex]

Which is more complicated than what you started with- the polynomial has the same power, and the icky term with the log has a higher power making it even ickier. This will most likely be harder to deal with than the original limit so it's a big clue you should go back to the drawing board and modify your approach.

There's more than one way to arrange what you started with to an indeterminate form you can apply l'hopital to!

Last edited:

Related to Optimizing L'Hopital's Rule for Limits with Logarithmic Functions

What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. It helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point or as it approaches infinity.

How is a limit evaluated?

Limits can be evaluated using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and the use of limit laws. In more complex cases, the limit can be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule.

What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for evaluating limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for certain types of functions, the limit of the ratio of their derivatives is equal to the limit of the original function.

When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when the limit is in an indeterminate form. This means that both the numerator and denominator of the function approach either 0 or infinity. If the limit is not in an indeterminate form, then L'Hopital's rule is not applicable.

What are the limitations of L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule can only be applied to certain types of indeterminate forms and may not always provide an accurate result. It also requires the use of derivatives, which can be time-consuming and tedious to calculate in some cases.