Optimizing Lens Focal Length for Micro-Structure Laser Experiment

In summary, the experiment involves using a laser beam focused by a lens to study micro-structures on a sample. To avoid illuminating adjacent micro-structures, the focal length of the lens needs to be greater than the separation of the structures (5 microns) and the spot size of the laser beam (1 mm). The Rayleigh criterion can be applied to determine the minimum focal length needed, taking into account the diffraction limitation caused by the aperture of the laser beam. This equation shows that a very small focal length is needed to distinguish structures of dimensions 8 times the wavelength of the laser.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

In an experiment a laser beam is focussed on a sample by a lens. The sample has micro structures spatially separated by 5 microns. In the experiment, each micro-structure has to be studied individually using the laser, so that illumination of two or more adjacent micro-structures must be avoided. If the laser wavelength is 632 nm and the diameter of the beam is 1 mm, find focal lengths of the lens suitable for this experiment.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the spot sized needs to be focussed to >5 microns so it meets the requirements.
but I really have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Time to generate an idea, isn't it? Apparently the parallel beam isn't going to be focused to a zero diameter focal point. What can be the reasons for that ? Why do they tell you the wavelength ?

Is there any context for this question ? Did you learn anything recently that might apply here ?

I Learnt about the Rayleigh criterion recently, I wonder could that apply.
d/l>1.22*lambda/D
l=f?
But, I'm not quite sure how it could apply.

So you google Rayleigh criterion, get an article on angular resolution. The 1.22 appears to come from the diameter of the first minimum of the Airy disk: diffraction limitation! Follow the link and it even has a small section on focusing a laser beam!

Huijgens' principle states every point of the 1mm laser beam aperture is point source for waves that propagate in all directions. All the stuff that expands sideways effectively interferes itself away, only straight through adds up constructively. (Not even that is true: a laser beam has some minute divergence).

In the focal plane of the lens you get a diffraction pattern that is the Fourier transform of the aperture. Circular aperture -> Airy disc.

So yes, this is a nice relevant equation. Fill in the numbers to get l < a very small number.

No wonder if you want to distinguish something of dimensions 8 times the wavelength. And this very small number is a genuine upper limit, which you want to stay away from as much as you can! Use bluer light, or start saving for an electron microscope: ##\lambda## of the order of 10-5 x visible light!

oh wow, thank you so much.
I have been trying to do it for a while, and didn't fully understand my notes, I tried google but porbably didnt search the right things.
I think I understand now.
Thanks BvU

Related to Optimizing Lens Focal Length for Micro-Structure Laser Experiment

1. What is the difference between optics and laser beam focusing?

Optics is the study of light and its behavior, while laser beam focusing specifically focuses on the manipulation of laser beams. Optics is a broader term that encompasses various types of light, while laser beam focusing is a more specific term that refers to the control and shaping of laser beams.

2. How do laser beams differ from other types of light?

Laser beams are different from other types of light because they are coherent, meaning that all the light waves are in phase with each other. This allows laser beams to maintain a narrow beam and travel long distances without much divergence.

3. What factors affect the focusing of a laser beam?

The main factors that affect laser beam focusing are the curvature of the lens, the distance between the lens and the laser, and the wavelength of the laser. The curvature of the lens determines the shape of the focused beam, while the distance between the lens and the laser affects the convergence or divergence of the beam. The wavelength of the laser also plays a role in how the beam behaves when focused.

4. How can laser beams be focused to a specific spot?

Laser beams can be focused to a specific spot by using lenses or mirrors to manipulate the path of the beam. By adjusting the curvature and position of the lens or mirror, the laser beam can be directed to a specific spot with a high degree of precision.

5. What is the importance of laser beam focusing in scientific research?

Laser beam focusing is crucial in scientific research because it allows for precise control and manipulation of light. This is especially important in fields such as optics, spectroscopy, and microscopy, where highly focused laser beams are used to study and analyze materials at a microscopic level. Laser beam focusing also plays a vital role in various industrial and medical applications, such as laser cutting and laser surgery.