Measurement of Focal length with Laser beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with experimental physics tasks involving the measurement of the focal length of a convex lens using a laser. The equations and methods attempted are shared, but a satisfactory solution is not found. Suggestions are given, including using the laser as a bright light and using a diffraction grating to split the beam, but concerns about accuracy and the problem description are raised. Ultimately, the goal of the problem is to determine the accuracy of a formula for the focal length of a spherical lens.
Alettix

Homework Statement

Hi!

I have lately come across some tricky experimental physics tasks, where no solution is given. Some of them involved parts where the focal length of a convex lens had to be measured with a laser. How do you do this?

Homework Equations

1/l + 1/d = 1/f (1)
where f is the focal lenght, l is the object distance and d the image distance)

M = d/l (2)
where M is the magnification

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought that one should be moving a screen behind the lens looking for the distance at which the laser beem form a sharp image. At this distance equation 1 is valid . Because the beams from the laser are parallell, l = ∞ and therefore d = f.
However, trying this method out I quickly realized that with a so tiny "object" as a laser, the distance at which the image is the sharpest can not really be determined.

I tried to move the screen futher away and to some calculations from the magnification. But I guess that the formula for magnification is only valid at the image point as well, because this yield very weird results.

Could somebody please put me on the right track of how this kind of experimental task should be solved?
Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This Q has had me thinking. As yet I can't see any "laser" way of doing this. I thought maybe the physicists had some trick they could do here.

Anyhow, I didn't like the two parallel lasers as it did not look very accurate to me, though maybe I'm wrong - I'll have to try it.
My two thoughts are:
Just use it as a bright light. Put a spot on a screen and try to get an image of that spot on another screen, as you'd do with an ordinary lamp.
Use a diffraction grating (or CD - we don't need anything specific) to split the laser beam into two (& more) emanating from a single point. Use the lens to focus two of these reflected (or transmitted, with appropriate grating) beams to a single point. Since you are not looking for focus, just convergence, it should be easier to find the focal point.
laser_lens.png

Edit: just doing the sums and I think a CD would be too fine a grating, so you may have to get a proper grating, unless you know of something else.

Last edited:
Likes Alettix
Merlin3189 said:
Just use it as a bright light. Put a spot on a screen and try to get an image of that spot on another screen, as you'd do with an ordinary lamp.
Use a diffraction grating (or CD - we don't need anything specific) to split the laser beam into two (& more) emanating from a single point.

Thank you Sir, I think the spot on a screen might be the solution, although I am worried about the tiny diameter of the laser beam...

The problem description did not mention diffraction granting, so I assume that it shouldn't be used (these experimental problems are old ones from a physics competition, so if there is no diffraction granting in the description, the competitors were not allowed to use it). Also, the actual goal of the problem was to determine how well the formula:
f = nR/(2(n-1))
Describes the focal length of a spherical lens (with radius R and index of refraction n) as a function of deviation from the optical axis (where the formula is assumed to be true). This means that parallel beams cannot really be used, because they already deviate from the optical axis. Or am I wrong?

Related to Measurement of Focal length with Laser beam

1. How is focal length measured with a laser beam?

The focal length of a lens can be measured using a laser beam by measuring the distance between the lens and the laser's focal point. This can be done by moving the lens until the laser beam is focused to a small dot on a screen or surface, and then measuring the distance from the lens to the screen. This distance is equal to the focal length of the lens.

2. What type of lens is needed for this measurement?

A convex lens is typically used for measuring focal length with a laser beam. This is because a convex lens will focus parallel rays of light to a single point, making it easier to determine the focal point.

3. Is there a specific distance the laser beam should be from the lens?

The distance between the laser beam and the lens should be at least twice the focal length of the lens. This will ensure that the laser beam is parallel to the lens and will result in a more accurate measurement.

4. Can this method be used for measuring the focal length of any lens?

Yes, this method can be used for measuring the focal length of any type of lens, as long as the lens is able to focus the laser beam to a single point. It is important to note that the accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the quality of the lens.

5. Are there any potential sources of error when using a laser beam to measure focal length?

One potential source of error is the alignment of the laser beam and the lens. If the laser beam is not perfectly parallel to the lens, it can result in an incorrect measurement. Additionally, the surface or screen where the laser beam is focused may not be perfectly flat, which can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.