Optimizing Fencing for a Rectangular Enclosure with a Fixed Wall

In summary, the man wishes to fence in a rectangular enclosure with an area of 128m^2. One side is already formed by a brick wall. The problem is to find the least possible length of fencing needed for the other three sides. A good starting point is to find an expression for the length of the fence, which is 2x + y. By differentiating this expression and finding the critical points, it is determined that the minimum length of the fence is 32m. It is important to note the restrictions on the domain of the variables.
lionely

Homework Statement

A man wishes to fence in a rectangular enclosure of area 128m^2.One side of the enclosure is formed by part of a brick wall already in position.
What is the least possible length of fencing required for the other three sides?

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I called one side x and one side y.

So far I have the relationship

xy = 128
y = 128/x

I was going to differentiate that but that won't help me since equating the result to 0 give me nothing.

I was thinking the perimeter might help me but.. I don't know what to do with it. Help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
I was thinking the perimeter might help me but.. I don't know what to do with it. Help is greatly appreciated
Your problem is to minimise the length of the fence. A good place to start is to find an expression for the length of the fence.

Okay i'll call the length L , so L = 2x + y?

Correct so far. Now what is the minimal L which encloses 128 m2?

okay so I did this L = 2x + y .
L = 2x + (128/x) [from my first area expression]
L = (2x^2 + 128)/x
dL/dx = -(2x^2 + 128)/x^2 + 4

For max/min dL/dx = 0
2x^2 + 128 = 4x^2
x = +/- 8
For L to be a minimum x= 8.
So Lmin = 16 + 16 = 32m

lionely said:
For L to be a minimum x= 8.
Yes, there is also no way you can make a side with length -8 m. Be mindful of the domains you have to consider.

It is also easier to just differentiate 2x + 128/x directly than rewriting it as (2x^2 + 128)/x. The result will of course be the same.

Oh yeah true, haha wasn't thinking. I truly appreciate it!

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one or more of its independent variables. It is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to analyze how a function changes over time or space.

2. What are the key rules of differentiation?

The key rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help us to find the derivative of a function with respect to its independent variable.

3. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It also helps us to understand the behavior of functions and make predictions about their future values.

4. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are two fundamental operations in calculus. While differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation helps us to analyze the slope of a function, while integration helps us to analyze its accumulated change.

5. How can I use differentiation in real life?

Differentiation has various real-life applications, such as predicting the growth of a population, calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object, optimizing business processes, and more. It is also used in fields like physics, biology, economics, and engineering to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.