Optimizing Can Dimensions for Minimizing Material Usage

In summary: No, the height never gets infinitely small. It stays at 1.996.Does that mean that the can would have a radius of 1.996?No, the radius would be 1.996.
Sheneron
[SOLVED] Minimizing Surface Area

Homework Statement

A can is to be manufactured in the shape of a circular cylinder with volume = 50.
Find the dimensions of a can that would minimize the amount of material needed to make the can.

Homework Equations

V = [tex] \pi r^2 h[/tex]
SA = [tex] 2 \pi r^2 + 2 \pi r h [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never done a problem like this so I am unsure how to do it, but here is my attempt.

With the volume equation I solved for h. [tex] h = \frac{50}{\pi r^2} [/tex]
I plugged this value for h into the Surface area equation. [tex] SA = 2 \pi r^2 + 2 \pi r \frac{50}{\pi r^2} [/tex]

which = [tex] 2 \pi r^2 + \frac{100}{r} [/tex]

I then took the derivative of that and set it equal to 0.
[tex] 0 = 4 \pi r - 100 r^-2 [/tex]
[tex] r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{100}{4 \pi}} [/tex]
r = 1.996

Then I plugged that back into the volume equation to solve for h and got h= 3.99.
Could someone tell if this is right and if not where I went wrong. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. Check your result by plugging in a number smaller than r and a number bigger than r into the derivative. If a number smaller than r makes the derivative negative and a number larger than r makes the derivative positive, then r would be a minimum.

So is that how I know that its a minimum instead of a maximum. I'm still a little confused about that. What would I do if I wanted to solve this problem for a maximum?

There is no maximum.

Does it not have one? Even though the volume is set to 50 there is no max Surface area?

If you keep increasing r, the surface area just gets bigger and bigger without bound. The height gets smaller, but there is a separate [tex]2\pi r^2[/tex] term in the surface area calculation. That's why there is no maximum surface area.

I understand I think. h could get infinitely small which would make the surface area infinitely large.

Related to Optimizing Can Dimensions for Minimizing Material Usage

1. What is surface area and why is it important?

Surface area is the total area of the surface of an object. It is important because it determines the amount of contact an object has with its environment, which can affect factors such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and stability.

2. How does minimizing surface area benefit scientific experiments?

Minimizing surface area can benefit scientific experiments by reducing the amount of variables and potential sources of error. This allows for more accurate and reliable results.

3. What strategies can be used to minimize surface area?

Some strategies for minimizing surface area include compacting objects, using spherical or cylindrical shapes, and creating smooth and even surfaces.

4. How does nature utilize the concept of minimizing surface area?

Nature often utilizes the concept of minimizing surface area to optimize efficiency. For example, the shape of a raindrop is spherical to reduce surface tension and minimize contact with air molecules during freefall.

5. Are there any drawbacks to minimizing surface area?

While minimizing surface area can have many benefits, it can also limit the functionality and effectiveness of certain structures. For example, reducing surface area in a heat exchanger can decrease its efficiency in transferring heat.