Optimizing Areal Density in a Square with Randomly Distributed Circles

• Thread starter ManuelCalavera
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a math/statistics problem involving a square and circles with randomly distributed diameters. The goal is to find the mean value of the diameter that will maximize the areal density of the circles in the square without overlap. The speaker, with a background in engineering/physics, is unsure how to approach the problem but believes the minimum mean value is the key. They suggest starting by finding the formula for areal density and considering different ways to pack the circles in the square.
ManuelCalavera
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put this question in as it's not a homework problem but it is a math/statistics problem. I'm really not sure how to even start.

So the problem is this:
You have a square with side lengths W and circles that have diameter's that are randomly distributed according to the Gaussian distribution. The assumption is that they are taken from a random sample of independently chosen circles that are drawn from the same Gaussian distribution,
with a chosen mean and set sigma. You can choose the mean of the distribution but the standard dev is set. There is a minimum mean value you can choose.

You want to find the mean value of the diameter that will maximize the areal density (amount of circles per unit area) you can fit in the square. The circles can't overlap and they must be whole circles.

I'm almost sure it is the minimum value so I guess I just have to prove that. There might be issues with the formulation of the problem but I am hoping they can be avoided if the minimum mean value is always the value that will maximize the areal density regardless of how the circles are chosen/sampled/etc.

My background is in engineering/physics so I don't have a first principles math education so I'm really not sure how to even begin the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a challenging problem. You say that there is a minimum mean you can choose. That's a good place to start. From that point, try to find the formula for areal density. Are you allowed to pack the circles in any way you like to maximize the total number in the square?

Related to Optimizing Areal Density in a Square with Randomly Distributed Circles

1. What are the basic concepts of geometry and statistics?

Geometry is the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and dimensions of objects in space. It includes concepts such as points, lines, angles, planes, and solid figures. Statistics is the study of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting numerical data. It includes concepts such as mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and probability.

2. How are geometry and statistics related?

Geometry and statistics are related in that statistics uses geometric principles to analyze and interpret data. For example, histograms and box plots use geometric shapes to represent data. Additionally, geometry is used to calculate probabilities and make predictions in statistics.

3. What are the real-world applications of geometry and statistics?

Geometry is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design to create and measure physical structures. Statistics is used in a wide range of fields, including business, economics, medicine, and social sciences, to make informed decisions based on data analysis.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in geometry and statistics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in geometry and statistics, it is important to practice regularly and understand the fundamental concepts. You can also seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources to clarify any doubts or difficulties you may have.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in geometry and statistics?

Some common mistakes to avoid in geometry and statistics include misinterpreting data, using incorrect formulas or calculations, and not understanding the context of a problem. It is important to double-check your work and seek help if you are unsure about a concept or calculation.