Optimized "Homework Solutions for Hard Limits

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Limits
In summary, for the first question, the limit as n approaches infinity of ((n+1)^5-(n-1)^5)/n^4 simplifies to 2, despite Wolframalpha giving a different answer.For the second question, the limit as n approaches infinity of (n!)^2/(2n)! evaluates to 0, not infinity as originally guessed, because the terms in the expansion of n! on the top and (2n)! on the bottom cancel each other out, leaving a limit of 0.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

1. lim as n approaches infinity of ((n+1)^5-(n-1)^5)/n^4
2. lim as n to infinity (n!)^2/(2n)!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.I split it up, got (((n+1)/n)^4)*(n+1)-(((n-1)/n)^4)*(n-1). I try to simplify that down to (n+1)-(n-1) and got 2 as my answer, since the other portion of the limit evaluates to 1. Wolframalpha, however, gave me 10 as the answer.

2. I never seen a problem involving limits with just factorials, so I just guessed that n factorial squared grows faaster than (2n)! so the answer is infinity but wolframalpha says the answer is 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:
I try to simplify that down to (n+1)-(n-1)
How did you simplify it to that?
Just expand (n+1)5 etc. by the binomial theorem.
2. I never seen a problem involving limits with just factorials, so I just guessed that n factorial squared grows faaster than (2n)! so the answer is infinity but wolframalpha says the answer is 0.
In the expansions of each n! on the top and (2n)! on the bottom, do you see which terms will cancel? What will that leave?

1. Expand ## (n + 1)^5 ## and ## (n - 1)^5 ##.

2. You guessed wrong. But you don't need to guess - look at the ratio of the (n + 1)th term to the nth term, this is always a good place to start.

Related to Optimized "Homework Solutions for Hard Limits

1. What are optimized homework solutions for hard limits?

Optimized homework solutions for hard limits are solutions that have been carefully crafted to meet the specific requirements and limitations of a particular homework assignment. They are designed to be efficient, accurate, and easy to understand for students.

2. How are these solutions optimized?

These solutions are optimized through a combination of techniques, such as using efficient algorithms and data structures, breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and considering the time and resource limitations of students.

3. Can optimized homework solutions for hard limits be used for any subject?

Yes, these solutions can be used for any subject that involves hard limits, such as mathematics, physics, computer science, and engineering. However, they may need to be adapted or customized for the specific subject and assignment.

4. Are these solutions considered cheating?

No, these solutions are not considered cheating as long as they are used for educational purposes and to aid in understanding the material. They should not be copied and submitted as one's own work.

5. How can optimized homework solutions benefit students?

Optimized homework solutions can benefit students by providing them with a better understanding of the material, saving them time and effort in solving complex problems, and helping them to improve their grades and overall academic performance.