Optimization under differentiation

In summary, the objective was to find the maximum area for a cuboid that would fit inside an ellipse, and the equation was y= b\sqrt{1-x^2/a^2}. Differentiating it with respect to L yielded the base that would give the maximum area.
don1231915
Optimization under differentiation!

Homework Statement

OK
I have a upside down looking curve structure (½ ellipse). It has the following specifications:
The building has a rectangular base 150m long and 72m wide. The max height of the structure should not exceed 75% of its width or be less than half the width. And the min. height of a room in the building is 2.5m

Homework Equations

The first objective was to create a model when the height is 36m
I did it using the equation of the ellipse and my graph looks like: http://imageupload.org/pt-112919260786.html
The equation of this ellipse is y= sqrt(1296-x^2)

The QUESTION IS:

How do I find the maximum volume of the cuboid which would fit inside this curve?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I have figured is
that we know nothing about the cuboid
So I assumed the width and height to be x and 2y
So the V = 300xy (x2 as the width is 2y)
and then I plugged in the equation of the ellipse into this equation, is that the right thing to do?
But then do I differentiate?? to find what? x?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you have [itex]y= b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex], half of an ellipse, then the height of any rectangle with base of length L, just fitting inside that ellipse, is [itex]h= b\sqrt{1- L^2/4a^2}[/itex] and the area is [itex]A= 2Lb\sqrt{2- L^2/4a^2}[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to L to find thebase that will give maximum area.

HallsofIvy said:
If you have [itex]y= b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex], half of an ellipse, then the height of any rectangle with base of length L, just fitting inside that ellipse, is [itex]h= b\sqrt{1- L^2/4a^2}[/itex] and the area is [itex]A= 2Lb\sqrt{2- L^2/4a^2}[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to L to find thebase that will give maximum area.

Are a and b both 36? Also, I am having a really hard time differentiating it with respect to L.
Wondering if you can elaborate?? AND isn't it also supposed to be a cuboid??

Thank you so much for helping!

Related to Optimization under differentiation

1. What is optimization under differentiation?

Optimization under differentiation is a method of finding the maximum or minimum value of a function by using differentiation. It is used to solve problems related to finding the most efficient or optimal solution.

2. How is optimization under differentiation different from traditional optimization methods?

Unlike traditional optimization methods, optimization under differentiation involves using the derivative of a function to find the optimal solution. This allows for a more precise and efficient solution to be found.

3. What are some applications of optimization under differentiation?

Optimization under differentiation has many applications in various fields, including economics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and maximize profits.

4. What are the key steps involved in optimization under differentiation?

The key steps in optimization under differentiation are identifying the function to be optimized, finding its derivative, setting the derivative equal to zero, solving for the critical points, and determining the maximum or minimum value based on the second derivative.

5. What are some common challenges in optimization under differentiation?

Some common challenges in optimization under differentiation include identifying the correct function to optimize, finding the derivative of complex functions, and interpreting the results correctly. It is important to carefully consider the problem at hand and choose the appropriate optimization method.