Optimization of the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube

In summary, the sum of the surfaces of a cube and a sphere is constant, so the minion of the diameter of the sphere is equal to the edge of the cube.
leprofece
If the sum of the surfaces of a cube and a sphere as is constant, deierminar the minion of the diameter of the sphere to the edge of the cube in cases in which:
272) The sum of the volumes is minimal
273) The sum of the volumes is maximum
And the answer are 272 = 1 and 273 = infinit

Ok
Vs = 4pir3/3 and Vc = l3
since diameter = R/2
V= 4piL/83/3
THen
V= PiL3/6
I sum and Got V= PiL3/6 +L3

surfaces
cube = L2 and Sphere Pi(L/2)2

When derive I got 0 and i can not get the answers

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Max and min 5

Hello, leprofece!

If the sum of the surfaces of a cube and a sphere is constant,
determine the minion of the diameter of the sphere
to the edge of the cube
in cases in which:

(272) The sum of the volumes is minimal

(273) The sum of the volumes is maximum

And the answer are: (272) 1 and (273) infinity.
What does this mean?

[tex]\begin{array}{c|c|c|} & \text{Area} & \text{Volume} \\ \hline \text{Sphere} & 4\pi r^2 & \tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \\ \hline \text{Cube} & 6x^2 & x^3 \\ \hline\end{array}[/tex]

We have: .[tex]4\pi r^2 + 6x^2 \:=\:S\;\;[1][/tex]

. . . and: .[tex]V \;=\;\tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 + x^3 \;\;[2][/tex]From [1]: .[tex]x \;=\;\sqrt{\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6}}[/tex]

Substitute into [2]: .[tex]V \;=\;\tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 + \left(\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

You know the rest, don't you?

Set [tex]V' = 0[/tex] and solve for [tex]r[/tex].
Then [tex]d = 2r[/tex].
Then solve for [tex]x.[/tex]

soroban said:
Hello, leprofece!

[tex]\begin{array}{c|c|c|} & \text{Area} & \text{Volume} \\ \hline \text{Sphere} & 4\pi r^2 & \tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 \\ \hline \text{Cube} & 6x^2 & x^3 \\ \hline\end{array}[/tex]

We have: .[tex]4\pi r^2 + 6x^2 \:=\:S\;\;[1][/tex]

. . . and: .[tex]V \;=\;\tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 + x^3 \;\;[2][/tex]From [1]: .[tex]x \;=\;\sqrt{\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6}}[/tex]

Substitute into [2]: .[tex]V \;=\;\tfrac{4}{3}\pi r^3 + \left(\frac{S-4\pi r^2}{6}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

You know the rest, don't you?

Set [tex]V' = 0[/tex] and solve for [tex]r[/tex].
Then [tex]d = 2r[/tex].
Then solve for [tex]x.[/tex]

HELO BUT I GOT sqrt of 6

May you Check to see if the book or me is wrong?

leprofece said:
May you Check to see if the book or me is wrong?

Posting your work will make it easier for our helpers to see if you are correct or not, otherwise we have to work the problem.

Substitute into [2]: .V=4/3πr3+(S−4πr2[/SUP/6])3/2
Ok I derive respect to R

4pir2+2pir[S−4πr2]1/2 = 0

2r = S−4πr2]1/2

4r2= S−4πr2

and r =1/2 [sqrt[s/[1+pi]]
and Diameter =sqrt[s/[1+pi]

And now I solve for x
substituting r on x
I got sqrt[s/6[1+pi]]

solving d/x¿area? I got sqrt of 6
the answer sail this must be = 1 and minimun debe ser infinity

I really appreciatte your help
I posted IAM WAITING YOUR CHECKING

Last edited:

Related to Optimization of the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube

What is the goal of optimizing the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube?

The goal of optimizing the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube is to find the dimensions of the shapes that will result in the maximum possible surface area, given certain constraints. This can be useful in various applications, such as packaging design or maximizing heat transfer in engineering.

What are the constraints in optimizing the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube?

The constraints can vary depending on the specific problem, but generally they include fixed volumes for both the sphere and cube, as well as the requirement that both shapes must be able to fit within a certain space or container.

What is the mathematical formula for calculating the surface area of a sphere and cube?

The surface area of a sphere can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr², where r is the radius. The surface area of a cube can be calculated using the formula A = 6s², where s is the length of one side.

How can the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube be optimized?

To optimize the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube, you can use mathematical techniques such as calculus or linear programming. These methods involve finding the critical points or constraints of the problem and using equations to determine the optimal dimensions for the shapes.

Are there any real-world applications for optimizing the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for optimizing the sum of the surfaces of a sphere and cube. For example, in packaging design, optimizing the surface area of a box can help reduce material and shipping costs. In engineering, optimizing the surface area of a heat exchanger can improve its efficiency. It can also be useful in architecture, where maximizing the surface area of a building can help with ventilation and insulation.