Optimal Direction for Mosquito Flight to Warmth

In summary, the problem involves finding the direction in which a mosquito located at (1, 1, 2) should fly in order to get warm as soon as possible, given the temperature function T(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2-z. The solution involves taking the gradient of T and finding a unit vector in that direction. However, the attempt at a solution did not take into account the starting point of the mosquito and did not explain why (1/3)(2xi+2yj-k) is a unit vector. The problem is more suitable for the "Calculus and beyond" section.
abrowaqas

Homework Statement

The temperature at a point (x,y,z) in space is given by
T(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2-z. a mosquito located at (1,1,2) desires to fly in such a direction that it will get warm as soon as possible. in what direction should it fly?

Homework Equations

Grad T = Txi+Tyj+Tkz

The Attempt at a Solution

i first take its grad T = 2xi+2yj-k

then for direction i just get its unit vector... that is 1/3(2xi+2yj-k) ..

am i right or wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
looks ok to me

abrowaqas said:

Homework Statement

The temperature at a point (x,y,z) in space is given by
T(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2-z. a mosquito located at (1,1,2) desires to fly in such a direction that it will get warm as soon as possible. in what direction should it fly?

Homework Equations

Grad T = Txi+Tyj+Tkz

The Attempt at a Solution

i first take its grad T = 2xi+2yj-k

then for direction i just get its unit vector... that is 1/3(2xi+2yj-k) ..

am i right or wrong

You didn't use the information that the mosquito starts at (1, 1, 2). Also, why do you think that (1/3)(2xi + 2yj - k) is a unit vector?

How did a problem involving the gradient of a vector function get into the "Precalculus Homework" section? I'm going to move this to the "Calculus and beyond" section.

(1/3)(2i+ 2j- k) is a unit vector. Whether or not (1/3)(2xi+ 2yj- k) is depends upon the values of x and y.

sorry, looked a little quickly & got the jist of it - all good pick-ups

Related to Optimal Direction for Mosquito Flight to Warmth

1. What is vector analysis?

Vector analysis is a mathematical tool used to analyze and manipulate vectors (quantities that have both magnitude and direction) in a geometric space.

2. What are some common applications of vector analysis?

Vector analysis is widely used in many scientific and engineering fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and navigation, to solve problems involving forces, motion, and direction.

3. How is vector analysis different from scalar analysis?

Vector analysis deals with quantities that have both magnitude and direction, while scalar analysis deals with quantities that only have magnitude. In other words, vector analysis involves studying the properties and behavior of vectors in a specific space, while scalar analysis focuses on the properties of scalar values in a given space.

4. How do I solve a vector analysis problem?

To solve a vector analysis problem, you need to understand the properties and operations of vectors, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. You also need to apply the relevant mathematical concepts, such as trigonometry and geometry, to analyze and manipulate the given vectors and solve for the desired quantities.

5. Can vector analysis be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, vector analysis is widely used in real-life situations, such as in navigation systems, in designing structures and machines, and in analyzing the forces acting on objects. It is a powerful tool that helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems in our everyday lives.