Optics: Soap Film and Other Things

In summary: Thin films of different colors are created when light passes through them at different angles. The interference creates a color because the light waves are no longer coming from the same place. The thicker the film, the more sideways displacement the waves have. This explains why thin films don't produce interference effects if they are illuminated from the front.
Prologue
I understand the idea behind the optical interference that produces colors on thin films but have never figured out the reason that the films have to by 'thin'. What is the lack of similarity that I am missing between a film and a somewhat thick sheet of glass or something that makes these effects not visible in the thick thing? Is it merely that the thin films that do this sort of thing are very much close to perfect surfaces so that the effects can be recognized (and the thick things like glass are very imperfect and you can't see the now *very thin* bands)? Or is there something more sinister at play?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Well, yeah. You're on the right track.

As the thickness increases, the phases of the incident and reflected rays become more and more randomized.

What is the cause of the randomization of the phases?

DaveC426913 is correct, but I would have phrased the answer differently- when the thickness of the soap film exceeds the coherence length of the incident light, there is no interference.

The coherence length is given by the spread of frequencies present, and is a measure of how unequal the arms of a Mach-Zender interferometer can be while still producing interference fringes.

Prologue said:
I understand the idea behind the optical interference that produces colors on thin films but have never figured out the reason that the films have to be 'thin'.

Interesting question.

Let me explain why I think it interesting. In the case of a double slit setup there are numerous interference fringes. There will be one luminous area where the two paths that the light has followed are equal in length, next to that there will be areas where the length difference of the paths is a single wavelength, next to that the areas where the difference is two wavelengths, etc.
That illustrates that the the difference in pathlength can be a multiple of the wavelength; you always get interference effects.

Under the right conditions it should be possible to elicit interference effect with a thick layer.
If I hazard a guess I think interference effects with a thick layer can only be elicited when the light strikes the layer at right angles.

In the case of a thin film of petrol on water the interference effects are visible from all angles. I wonder: when light enters a fluid its direction is changed. If we are looking at a puddle of water with a petrol film on it then some of the light has reflected directly on the petrol, and some of the light has entered the petrol, it has reflected on the petrol/water boundary, and then it has exited the petrol again.

My guess is: if the film's thickness is about as large as a single wavelength of the light then the path of entering the petrol and exiting again is hardly displaced sideways compared to the pure reflection. It is as if the light is from the same source, but with different phase because the reflections were different.

As DaveC426913 points out, the thicker the layer, the more sideways displacement. It's no longer as if from the same source.

Generally, interference effects will occur only if the setup allows only a small set of possible pathways for the light
For instance, in a double slit setup the source of the light (the source that illuminates the double slit) must be a point source. You can use sunlight, but the Sun itself is not a point source, so if the double slit is illuminated by the Sun then there are no interference effects. To get interference effects the Sun must illuminate a barrier with a sufficiently small hole in it, and the light entering through that hole then illuminates the double slit.

I just read in my textbook (Serway) that it's because "If the film is more than a few wavelengths thick, the interference fringes are so close together that
you cannot resolve them." Not sure exactly how that follows...

I buy that (and that was what I was thinking intuitively). I see that the path length difference per angular displacement will be more for a thicker object and that would explain the thin bands.

Related to Optics: Soap Film and Other Things

1. What is a soap film and how is it formed?

A soap film is a thin layer of soap molecules that is formed when soap is mixed with water. It is created because soap molecules are amphiphilic, meaning they have both hydrophilic (water-loving) and hydrophobic (water-repelling) properties. When soap is mixed with water, the hydrophilic heads of the soap molecules are attracted to the water while the hydrophobic tails are repelled. This causes the soap molecules to form a thin layer on the surface of the water, creating a soap film.

2. How do soap films create colors?

Soap films create colors through the process of thin-film interference. When light hits the soap film, some of it is reflected off the top layer of the film while some is reflected off the bottom layer. These two reflected waves interfere with each other, causing some colors to cancel out and others to amplify. This results in the beautiful rainbow of colors seen in soap films.

3. What are the different factors that can affect the colors of a soap film?

The colors of a soap film can be affected by several factors, including the thickness of the film, the angle at which light hits the film, and the type of light used. Thicker films will produce more vibrant colors, while thinner films will produce more pastel colors. The angle of the light changes the path length difference between the two reflected waves, which can affect the colors that are amplified. The type of light used, such as natural sunlight or artificial light, can also affect the colors seen in a soap film.

4. What other applications does thin-film interference have besides soap films?

Thin-film interference is not only seen in soap films, but also in other everyday objects such as oil slicks, bubbles, and CD/DVD surfaces. It is also used in many technological applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, and in the production of thin-film solar cells.

5. How can studying soap films be beneficial?

Studying soap films can be beneficial in several ways. It can help us better understand the properties of light and how it interacts with different materials. It can also lead to advancements in technology, such as in the development of new materials for solar cells or anti-reflective coatings. Additionally, studying soap films can be a fun and engaging way to learn about optics and physics principles.