Where to get some VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

In summary: , in summary, you are looking for a sheet of plastic that is thin, blocks visible light, has low IR transmittance, and is not strongly red in tint. You found a seller who has this type of plastic, but it is 2mm thick.
nwytg
I'm talking about nealy black plstic in front of some remote controls to add to my similar DIY device.

https://i.imgur.com/lmL4XN5.png

I found some plexiglass that does this (blocks visible light, let's NIR pass) but the thinnest is 2mm so I don't think it is usable for this because is pointlessly thick. https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets/ir-transmitting/custitem19/Black

Personally don't care what plastic it will be just need something thin (1mm or less, up to 0.2mm thin) and not strongly red tinted and also not a film but sheet as the former is very prone to scratching and bends too much. What am I looking for and where can I buy some?

I prefer to buy sheets from plastic suppliers because the optical component sellers such as Edmund or Thorlabs charge a lot for simple stuff like this. It makes sense to pay extra for quality for other stuff such as lenses or similar optical components but not this in my oinion.

So any ideas what kind of plastic sheet am I looking for and where to get some?

Physics news on Phys.org
nwytg said:
I found some plexiglass that does this (blocks visible light, let's NIR pass) but the thinnest is 2mm so I don't think it is usable for this because is pointlessly thick. https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets/ir-transmitting/custitem19/Black
You might try calling eplastics' Customer Service to ask if they have thinner stock, or know of another supplier who has it if they don't offer it.

berkeman said:
You might try calling eplastics' Customer Service to ask if they have thinner stock, or know of another supplier who has it if they don't offer it.
Already checked, they can't help with either.

Hmm, could you use standard plexiglass of the thickness you want, and apply a thin filter film to the inside? Do you need scratch resistance on both sides?

I don't, but do let me know if you managed to find a seller of adhesive ir pass films

If you have some shop around where you can check the sheets/samples manually then it's just a CR2032, an IR led and a smartphone to check the IR transparency.

Likes berkeman

Related to Where to get some VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

1. Where can I purchase VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

You can purchase VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets at most scientific supply stores, online retailers, or directly from manufacturers.

2. What are the applications of VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets are commonly used in spectroscopy, photometry, and imaging applications. They are also used in optical filters, lenses, and windows.

3. How do VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets work?

VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets are made of a material that blocks visible light while allowing near-infrared light to pass through. This is achieved through the use of specialized pigments or dyes that absorb certain wavelengths of light.

4. Can I customize the size or shape of VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

Yes, many suppliers offer the option to customize the size and shape of VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets to fit your specific needs. Just be sure to check with the supplier beforehand to ensure they offer this service.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when handling VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets?

Yes, it is important to handle VIS block, NIR pass plastic sheets with clean gloves to avoid any contamination. It is also recommended to store them in a cool, dry place to prevent any damage.

Back