Optics problem: electromagnetic theory

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem related to electromagnetic waves and their E-field and B-field components. The equation (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt) is used to show that Eo=cBo, which is in agreement with Ey=cBz. The conversation also touches upon the speed of the wave, which is represented by w/k.
cuti_pie75
If anyone who's good at optics/physics can help me with this electromagnetic part of optics...it'll be great.

so here's the problem:

imagine an electromagnetic wave with it's E-field in the y-direction. Show that (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt) applied to the harmonic wave B

E=Eo cos(kx - wt) B=Bo cos(kx - wt)

yields to the fact that Eo=cBo
in agreement with Ey=cBz

thanx in advance :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cuti_pie75.

Just work out (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt) with what you're given.
I`ll do dE/dx:

[tex]\frac{dE}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx} E_0 \cos(kx-\omega t) = -kE_o\sin(kx-\omega t)[/tex]
Differentiate B with respect to t and use the equation (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt).

You also need that [itex]\vec E_0=E_y \hat y[/itex] (this was given).
And assuming the direction of the wave is in the +x-direction. [itex]\vec B_0= B_z \hat z[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your fast reply Galileo, everything's much more clearer to me now...but i just have one more question:

i did the derivative for B in respect to t and comes to: kEo = -wBo
so my question is -w/k = c?

anyway, sorry for the bother and thanks again!

Almost, remember the equation is (dE/dx)=-(dB/dt), so you have a minus sign. There is another minus sign coming from the derivative of the cosine and another one from the chain rule (derivative of (kx-wt) with respect to t is -w).
So you get kEo=wBo
w/k indeed equals the speed of the wave (c in this case).
the way I always remember it, is by knowing that a traveling wave always has the form f(x-vt) with v the speed of the wave. kx-wt=k(x-w/kt), so w/k is the speed,

Related to Optics problem: electromagnetic theory

1. What is the electromagnetic theory?

The electromagnetic theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter. It describes how electric and magnetic fields are generated by charged particles and how they propagate through space.

2. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary or moving charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges. Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, while magnetic fields only affect moving charged particles.

3. How does light fit into the electromagnetic theory?

Light is an electromagnetic wave that consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. This means that light can be described and explained using the principles of electromagnetic theory.

4. How does electromagnetic theory relate to optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. Since light is an electromagnetic wave, the principles of electromagnetic theory are essential in understanding and explaining optical phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic theory in optics?

Electromagnetic theory is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, fiber optics, and medical imaging. It also plays a significant role in developing technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and optical communication systems.