Optics problem, adding quantities

In summary, the problem involves finding the sum of two quantities, Y1 = sin(Wt) and Y2 = sin(Wt+30 degrees). The equation Y(x,t) = AsinK(kx+Wt) and the relationship W = 2(3.14)f, where f is the frequency, may be relevant. The correct solution involves using trigonometric identities and cannot be solved by simply adding the quantities. Further research on trigonometric identities is recommended for solving this problem.
thezac11

Homework Statement

-Find the sum of the two quantities:

Y1=sin(Wt) Y2=sin(Wt+30 degrees)

Homework Equations

Y(x,t)=AsinK(kx+Wt) <------- not sure if this is relevant

W=2(3.14)f , where f=frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(Wt) + sin(Wt+30) = sin(Wt) + sin(Wt) + sin(30) = 2sin(Wt) + 0.5

-This is all I've got. I'm really not sure how to go about this problem, I know there something more to it than simply adding the quantities as I did. This problem is in the Optics section of my physics course, but I'm not sure how it relates to optics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thezac11! :smile:
thezac11 said:
sin(Wt) + sin(Wt+30) = sin(Wt) + sin(Wt) + sin(30)

sorry, but that doesn't work at all :redface:

you need to look up your trigonometric identities :wink:

Related to Optics problem, adding quantities

1. What is an optics problem?

An optics problem is a type of physics problem that involves the study of light and how it interacts with different materials and surfaces. This can include topics such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction.

2. What does it mean to add quantities in optics?

In optics, adding quantities refers to combining different physical properties or values to determine an overall measurement or result. This can be done using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Why is it important to understand how to add quantities in optics?

Understanding how to add quantities in optics is important because it allows us to accurately measure and predict the behavior of light in various situations. This can be useful in developing technologies such as lenses, cameras, and fiber optics.

4. What are some common quantities that are added in optics problems?

Some common quantities that are added in optics problems include wavelength, frequency, angle of incidence, angle of refraction, and index of refraction. These values can be combined to determine properties such as the speed of light, the angle of reflection, and the focal length of a lens.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving optics problems involving adding quantities?

To improve your skills in solving optics problems involving adding quantities, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the relevant formulas and equations. You can also seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to further enhance your understanding and problem-solving abilities.