Adding three SHM oscillations of equal frequency?

In summary: z = x + iyz1 = x1 + iy1 x1 = 0.25 cos(wt +0)x2 = 0.20 cos(wt +45)x3 = 0.15 cos(wt +75)z1 = 0.25 [x1 + i sin(wt +0)]z2 = 0.2 [x2 + i sin(wt +45)]z3 = 0.15 [x3 + i sin(wt +75)]
applestrudle

Homework Statement

A particle is simultaneously subjected to three SHM, all of the same frequency, and in the x direction. If the amplitudes are 0.25, 0.20, 0.15mm, respectively, and the phase difference between the 1st and 2nd is 45 degrees, and between the 2nd and 3rd is 30 degrees, find the amplitude of the resultant displacement and it's phase relative to the first (0.25mm amplitude) component.

Homework Equations

z = x + iy

z1 = x1 + iy1

x1 = 0.25 cos(wt +0)
x2 = 0.20 cos(wt +45)
x3 = 0.15 cos(wt +75)

z1 = 0.25 [x1 + i sin(wt +0)]
z2 = 0.2 [x2 + i sin(wt +45)]
z3 = 0.15 [x3 + i sin(wt +75)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I assumed there was no initial phase angle for z1 said at t=0

x1 = 0.25
x2 = 0.20 cos(45)
x3 = 0.15 cos(75)

therefore the Amplitude must be x = x1 + x2 + x3 (as at t=0 it must be at maximum displacement so x = A)

I got x = 0.430244mm
the answers says 52mm

then i decided maybe at t=0 x is not equal to A (although I don't know why :redface:) so i tried to calculate the magnitude of z.

z = (x^2 +y^2)^0.5

i added up all the y components at t =0 and got y = 0.286310mm

therefore z = 0.516

now for the angle:

I used arctan(y/x) = 56 degrees, the answer is ~33.5 degrees :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
hi applestrudle! :smile:
applestrudle said:
x1 = 0.25 cos(wt +0)
x2 = 0.20 cos(wt +45)
x3 = 0.15 cos(wt +75)

expand, and add: you should get Acosωt + Bsinωt …

then convert that into amplitude*cos(ωt + phase) :wink:

applestrudle said:
z = x + iy
I'm not sure whether it helps to introduce an iy component. Maybe.
z1 = 0.25 [x1 + i sin(wt +0)]
z2 = 0.2 [x2 + i sin(wt +45)]
z3 = 0.15 [x3 + i sin(wt +75)]
The x1, x2, x3 already have the amplitude factor. I think you mean
z1 = [x1 + 0.25 i sin(wt +0)]
z2 = [x2 + 0.2 i sin(wt +45)]
z3 = [x3 + 0.15 i sin(wt +75)]
x1 = 0.25
x2 = 0.20 cos(45)
x3 = 0.15 cos(75)

therefore the Amplitude must be x = x1 + x2 + x3 (as at t=0 it must be at maximum displacement so x = A)
That's only the instantaneous magnitude of x at time 0. It might achieve a greater magnitude at some other time. The amplitude is the peak magnitude.
so i tried to calculate the magnitude of z.
Same problem.
As tiny-tim posted, you can just expand each cos(ωt+ψ) as cos(ωt)cos(ψ) - sin(ωt)sin(ψ).

The frequencies are all the same so you can treat the components as phasors and add accordingly.

I would go with post #2 method.

Add the coefficients of sin(wt), add the coeff. of cos(wt), giving
a sin(wt) + b cos (wt) = c sin(wt + phi).

Related to Adding three SHM oscillations of equal frequency?

Question 1: What is SHM oscillation and how does it work?

SHM oscillation stands for Simple Harmonic Motion oscillation, which refers to a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point with a constant frequency.

Question 2: What happens when three SHM oscillations with equal frequency are added together?

When three SHM oscillations with equal frequency are added together, the resulting motion is a combination of the three individual oscillations. This means that the object will move in a more complex pattern, but will still have the same frequency as the individual oscillations.

Question 3: How do you calculate the amplitude and phase of the resulting motion when three SHM oscillations are added together?

The amplitude and phase of the resulting motion can be calculated using vector addition. The amplitude is the magnitude of the resulting vector and the phase is the angle between the resulting vector and the x-axis.

Question 4: Can the resulting motion be described by a single sine or cosine function?

Yes, the resulting motion can be described by a single sine or cosine function. This is because the individual SHM oscillations have the same frequency and can be combined using trigonometric identities.

Question 5: How does the amplitude of the resulting motion change if the individual oscillations have different amplitudes?

If the individual SHM oscillations have different amplitudes, the amplitude of the resulting motion will be the vector sum of the individual amplitudes. This means that the resulting motion will have a larger amplitude if the individual oscillations have different amplitudes.