Optical Theorem: Understanding Conservation of Particles & Probability

In summary, The optical theorem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that is connected to the conservation of probability through the unitarity of the S-matrix. While it may seem that it only applies to elastic scattering, it also holds true for inelastic processes, where the number of particles can change through absorption or transformation. Therefore, there is no general conservation of particle number, as the optical theorem accounts for both elastic and inelastic scattering.
parton
I'm confused. I read a line in a book where there was a qualitative explanation about the optical theorem, namely that it is connected with conservation of particle number. But I think that this is only true if we just consider elastic scattering. Inelastic processes would of course allow a change in the particle number so there is no conservation. The fundamental connection of the optical theorem is that with conservation of probability (because it follows from the unitarity of the S-matrix).

Is my "explanation" correct, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The theorem also applies for inelastic scattering.
It shows that the number of particles continuing forward is decreased by the number either scattered elastically or absorbed (or changed into something else).
That is why the total cross section (elasstic + inelastic) appears in the theorem.

my question is whether there's is particle number conservation in general? I would say no, because of the fact that the optical theorem also applies for inelastic scattering and there we could imagine processes where particles are created or annihilated. So there is no partcile number conservation.

Right?

Right.

Related to Optical Theorem: Understanding Conservation of Particles & Probability

1. What is the Optical Theorem?

The Optical Theorem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that relates the scattering amplitude of particles to their total cross section. It states that the total probability of particles being scattered is equal to the imaginary part of the forward scattering amplitude.

2. How does the Optical Theorem relate to conservation of particles?

The Optical Theorem is based on the principle of conservation of particles, which states that the total number of particles before and after a scattering event should remain constant. By relating the scattering amplitude to the total cross section, the Optical Theorem ensures that particles are conserved in a scattering process.

3. How is probability involved in the Optical Theorem?

The Optical Theorem uses probability to describe the likelihood of particles being scattered in a given direction. The total cross section, which is derived from the scattering amplitude, represents the probability of particles being scattered in any direction.

4. Why is the Optical Theorem important in quantum mechanics?

The Optical Theorem is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in scattering processes. It is also a key principle in understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum systems and helps to explain the conservation of particles in these systems.

5. How does the Optical Theorem apply to real-world phenomena?

The Optical Theorem has many practical applications, such as in understanding the scattering of light by particles in the atmosphere, which is important for weather forecasting. It also has applications in particle physics, where it is used to analyze collisions in particle accelerators and study the properties of subatomic particles.