Optical Mouse-How it works+what are these components

In summary, the conversation was about a project where the speaker had to take apart an optical mouse, find a circuit, take a picture, draw a circuit diagram, and explain how it works. They were unsure about some of the components, including U3, U1, and Y1, and asked for help understanding them. The response mentioned that "U" stands for IC reference designators and "Y" is used for crystal, oscillator, or resonator reference designators. The speaker also mentioned that the optical mouse is likely similar to the Avago Technologies ADNS-7050, with a datasheet provided.
pat666

Homework Statement

Pictures of an optical mouse I took apart are attached. We had to find a circuit, take a picture, draw the circuit diagram and explain how it works.

I'm not sure what a few of the components are. U3 is for the scroll wheel but what is it? U1 (the big IC) is the guts of the circuit but when I google B0863C (number written on it) I can't even get a data sheet for it. I know it registers something to do with the light reflected back into it but what? does the wavelength change when I move the mouse or something? Also is the light source just a standard LED or is it special? Also there doesn't seem to be a U2 where would that be? And what is U standing for in general (R is resistor, C is capacitor etc) .

Finally, what is Y1 - it looks like a capacitor and is right beside the IC.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• MOUSE!.jpg
    MOUSE!.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 529
  • MOUSE@.jpg
    MOUSE@.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 623
Physics news on Phys.org
It is probably something similar to the Avago Technologies ADNS-7050.
Datasheet: http://www.avagotech.com/docs/AV02-1411EN"

"U" is the letter used for IC reference designators.

"Y" is used for crystal, oscillator, or resonator

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Optical Mouse-How it works+what are these components

1. How does an optical mouse work?

An optical mouse works by using a small camera to take hundreds of pictures per second of the surface below the mouse. The images are then processed by the mouse's microcontroller, which tracks the movement of the mouse and translates it into cursor movement on the screen.

2. What are the main components of an optical mouse?

The main components of an optical mouse include an LED light, a small camera, a microcontroller, and a signal processor. The LED light illuminates the surface below the mouse, the camera captures images of the surface, and the microcontroller and signal processor work together to track and translate mouse movement.

3. How does an optical mouse differ from a traditional mechanical mouse?

An optical mouse does not have any moving parts, unlike a traditional mechanical mouse which uses a ball and rollers to track movement. This makes optical mice more accurate and durable, as there are no parts that can wear out or get clogged with dust and debris.

4. Can an optical mouse be used on any surface?

While optical mice can be used on most surfaces, they work best on smooth and opaque surfaces. Glass, mirrored, or transparent surfaces can interfere with the LED light and affect the accuracy of the mouse. Some optical mice also have difficulty tracking on highly reflective or uneven surfaces.

5. Do optical mice require any special maintenance?

Optical mice do not require much maintenance, as they do not have any moving parts that can wear out. However, it is recommended to occasionally clean the bottom of the mouse and the lens of the camera with a soft cloth to remove any dust or debris that may affect its performance.