How to wire an emergency flashlight?

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of wiring an emergency flashlight to power an LED without using batteries. The diagram from an instructable is referenced and modifications are suggested, including using several capacitors and a stepper motor, as well as incorporating mini solar panels for charging while the LED is on or off. The use of salvaged parts and the potential difficulties with making the motor function as a dynamo are also mentioned.
stephenkohnle53

Homework Statement

I plan on wiring an emergency flashlight to power an led. It must be able to store charge without batteries, generate charge and create a light.

Homework Equations

None, at least for now

The Attempt at a Solution

I was planning on following this diagram and modifying it to follow the following instructable
chargeCapacitortolightLEDschematic.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rechargeable-flashlight-without-batteries/

The reason I was planning on following that diagram is because the intsructable does not explain the steps as well as I would like nor the end resulting circuit. I am going to get the parts from scrap electronics so I do not know what the capacitance and such will be, so let's assume I get parts that work together if wired correctly. Could I add in a several capacitors in place of the single capacitor in the diagram and get the same result, and replace the 9 volt with a stepper motor and use a rectifier diode between the capacitor and the resistor. Also could I add mini solar panels into the circuit to charge the capacitors while the led is off or on and how complicated would that be.

Also if it is not clear I know virtually nothing about circuit diagrams and electronics so please try to dumb it down for me, and spell out what parts are what if you create a circuit diagram to show me what I could do.

Attachments

• chargeCapacitortolightLEDschematic.jpg
    chargeCapacitortolightLEDschematic.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 872
Physics news on Phys.org
Even a 1 F capacitor will discharge within minutes. If you want to store energy in the capacitor for a longer time you'll need a switch at the LED as well.
If you are willing to put in many large capacitors, you could equally put in a battery. That lasts much longer.

Likes berkeman
I know capacitors can't store charge as long as a battery but I'm not allowed to use batteries, which is the only reason I plan on using capacitors. So other than what you mentioned is there anything else I should know?

At least to me it is unclear how this thing is supposed to be used.

The article is about a flashlight which uses power stored in a bank of capacitors . The capacitors are charged as often as needed by hand cranking a small built in dynamo .

In the diagram given in #1 above the 9V battery should be replaced by the dynamo .

The article suggests using a salvaged stepper motor but really many types of small permanent magnet motor could be used . Ones sold for model boats etc would be suitable .

Circuit would ideally have more protection for the LED's .

Alright I was thinking I could salvage a stepper motor from a printer as well as capacitors from pcs and rectifier diodes from power supplies. And how would I wire a mini solar panel to it, could I just wire in parallel just after the motor in the diagram?

Then the power of the solar panel would discharge via the motor. With a diode it might work, but you have to check the voltage of the solar panel.

Alright, thanks

One of the problems of designing this type of flashlight is going to be how to make the selected motor work effectively as a dynamo . We'll come back to the electrics later - the basic difficulty is going to be making it turn fast enough to generate anything when you only have a relatively slow turning hand crank to drive it .

Related to How to wire an emergency flashlight?

1. How do I wire an emergency flashlight?

To wire an emergency flashlight, you will need a battery, a light bulb, and some wires. Connect one end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the positive terminal of the light bulb. Next, connect one end of another wire to the negative terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative terminal of the light bulb. This will complete the circuit and allow electricity to flow, lighting up the bulb.

2. What type of battery should I use for an emergency flashlight?

It is recommended to use a rechargeable battery for an emergency flashlight. This way, you can reuse the battery and save money in the long run. However, if you are unable to find a rechargeable battery, a standard alkaline battery will also work.

3. How long will the battery last in an emergency flashlight?

The lifespan of the battery will depend on the type and quality of the battery, as well as the power consumption of the light bulb. However, on average, a fully charged battery can last anywhere from 4-6 hours in an emergency flashlight.

4. Can I use any type of light bulb for an emergency flashlight?

It is important to use a light bulb that is suitable for the voltage of your battery. For example, if you are using a 12-volt battery, make sure to use a 12-volt light bulb. Using a light bulb with a higher or lower voltage can damage the bulb or drain the battery quickly.

5. Do I need any special tools to wire an emergency flashlight?

No, you do not need any special tools to wire an emergency flashlight. However, having a wire stripper or wire cutter can make the process easier. If you do not have these tools, you can use scissors or a knife to strip the insulation off the wires.