Optical design of surgical loupes

In summary, Constantin wants to make a set of dental-surgical loupes with a fixed focus at 400-500mm, Field Of View of around 6" and a 2-3x zoom. He is looking for help choosing the optics and someone to help him with the design.
fylatos
First of all, I am new to this forum and I would like to thank you for accepting me here.

I am a dental student and I would like to make a set of dental-surgical loupes. The loupes are actually small Galilean telescopes-microscopes with a fixed focus at 400-500mm, Field Of View of around 6" and a 2-3x zoom. I want your help to find the optics needed for this project (preferably achromats, aspheric, but I will make several experiments if needed). I promise I will post all the progress here with photos. I understand that this is a forum for discussing classical phusics but it is the one of the only forum I know where people with optical design experience and deep knowledge of optics come together. I would like to use high quality optics like edmund, zeiss or something similar. I need someone to help me with the ray traycing and the desirable lens configuration. I am currently thinking about a tessar configuration. Your ideas? Please help me.

Thanks again,

Constantine

PS I already own a set but I want to experiment on making my own. I do this solely for experimental (and fun) reasons and not commercial.

Attachments

• lope.jpg
    lope.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 779
Science news on Phys.org
What little I know about eyepiece design suggests you are better off buying one. Eyepieces are very complicated devices because the exit pupil is located behind the physical lens- a well designed eyepiece puts the exit pupil at the entrance pupil to your eye. The space between (the 'relief') means the design is highly asymmetric and susceptible to a lot of aberrations.

http://www.surgicalacuity.com/index/surgicalacuity-products-surgical-loupes-buyers-guide-2
http://www.quadibloc.com/science/opt04.htm

And those are the cheap ones.

Hello, thanks for the answer. I understand the inherit difficulties of this project. I use daily a zeiss g 2.5 ttl loupe system (one of the more expensive ones) and I also own a pair of surgical aquity (orascoptic) loupes (they are almost the same quality as zeiss and not much cheaper). As I mentioned earlier I want to experiment on constructing my own. Could you help me choosing the lenses? I will try to design the loupes using the principles you mentioned. I will also buy some with different f s and start experimenting really soon. Again thanks for the comment.

Eyepiece design is too complex for me to give any meaningful detail here- I recommend Warren Smith's "Modern Lens Design" as a reference- not only are there principles of optical design, but 29 eyepiece layouts (with full lens prescriptions and performance analysis) are given.

Andy Resnick said:
Eyepiece design is too complex for me to give any meaningful detail here- I recommend Warren Smith's "Modern Lens Design" as a reference- not only are there principles of optical design, but 29 eyepiece layouts (with full lens prescriptions and performance analysis) are given.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to acquire a copy through my university's library. Maybe one of the layouts will fit to my needs.

EDIT: Ha I found a copy here Modern lens design /
Writer: Smith, Warren J.
New York : McGraw-Hill, c2005. c2005.
Topic:
Lenses -- Design and construction -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Series
McGraw-Hill professional engineering. Electronic engineering.
ISBN:
0071438300 (acid-free paper)
9780071438308 (acid-free paper)
Description:
xvi, 631 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Edition:
2nd ed.

Available-in library

Last edited:
Dental Loupes will enable you to move your head within this range, with no loss of focus. You will be able to see the entire arch of the mouth rather than just a few teeth.
Magnification loupes are an essential tool for every dental hygienist. They are designed to protect your eyes and magnify the working area.

Surgical Loupe have features of independent focusing. These lens are lightweight which can be adjusted like binoculars. Provides additional comfort to around dental and eyes. It provides a high impressive performance with robust frame making work easy going.

Related to Optical design of surgical loupes

1. What is the purpose of surgical loupes?

Surgical loupes are optical devices used by surgeons and other medical professionals to magnify their field of vision during procedures. This makes it easier to see small details and perform precise tasks with greater accuracy.

2. How do surgical loupes work?

Surgical loupes use a system of lenses to magnify the image of the surgical site. The lenses are carefully designed and positioned to provide a clear, distortion-free view of the area being operated on.

3. What factors should be considered when designing surgical loupes?

The design of surgical loupes should take into account factors such as the desired level of magnification, the size and weight of the loupes, the materials used, and the angle of the lenses. Comfort and ergonomics are also important considerations for the user.

4. How do you determine the optimal magnification for surgical loupes?

The optimal magnification for surgical loupes depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Factors such as the type of procedure, the size of the surgical site, and the user's eyesight all play a role in determining the appropriate level of magnification.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using surgical loupes?

While surgical loupes can greatly enhance a surgeon's ability to see and perform precise tasks, they can also have some drawbacks. These may include eye strain, decreased peripheral vision, and a learning curve for new users. It is important to choose loupes that are properly fitted and to take breaks when necessary to prevent eye fatigue.