Optic Nerve Imaging: Studies & Resources

In summary, there are no known studies or resources related to imaging the optic nerve when participants are exposed to specific images or colors.
Ryan McCann
Are there any studies or resources related to imaging of the optic nerve when participants are exposed to specific images or colors? I can't seem to find anything relating to this topic, but I think it would be interesting.

Biology news on Phys.org
Ryan McCann said:
Are there any studies or resources related to imaging of the optic nerve when participants are exposed to specific images or colors? I can't seem to find anything relating to this topic, but I think it would be interesting.

You might try looking for a visual evoked potential test, the test is done to detect issues in the conduction of signal through the optic nerve (can be used to diagnose MS) and consist of administering an EEG to the patient while showing them an image (usually a checkerboard). It therefore isn't quite the imaging you probably mean (as in doing the test while a person is in a CT or MRI scanner) but it's probably the closest thing so far as a commonplace test goes.

Diagram of a VEP test set-up:
http://tidsskriftet.no/image/2013/T-12-1176-03-ENG-Over.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ryan McCann
Ryan McCann said:

What do you mean by 'imaging the optic nerve"? I could understand electrical recordings, but not imaging.

Andy Resnick said:
What do you mean by 'imaging the optic nerve"? I could understand electrical recordings, but not imaging.
I suppose some sort of test that shows the signal transmitted through the optic nerve.

Ryan McCann said:
I suppose some sort of test that shows the signal transmitted through the optic nerve.

Then the VEP would be what you're looking for, tests that usually are referred to as imaging, such as CT or MRI wouldn't be able to show you the signal being transmitted. As CT and MRI would only visualize the structure of the optic nerve and not the signal traveling along the optic nerve. It might be best to think of a CT and MRI like taking an x-ray of a TV, you'll be able to see all the bits and pieces that make up the tv but the X-ray won't be able to show you the image the tv was displaying at the time.

A PET-MRI, which is basically an MRI with color added to show activity, might be able to show the activity along the neuron (like showing which bits of the tv are ative), however a PET-MRI likely wouldn't be fast enough to capture a single signal and might not have the resolution needed to image a single nerve, even one as relatively big as the optic nerve. Especially given the location of the optic nerve, which is lying for the most part directly below the frontal lobe.

The pulses moving along neuron's are generally best captured by EEG. Which is what a VEP does (the bottom right figure is the read out of the EEG and the dips and spikes in it would be the signal traveling through the optic nerve to the brain.

galadriel3562 said:
Then the VEP would be what you're looking for, tests that usually are referred to as imaging, such as CT or MRI wouldn't be able to show you the signal being transmitted. As CT and MRI would only visualize the structure of the optic nerve and not the signal traveling along the optic nerve. It might be best to think of a CT and MRI like taking an x-ray of a TV, you'll be able to see all the bits and pieces that make up the tv but the X-ray won't be able to show you the image the tv was displaying at the time.

A PET-MRI, which is basically an MRI with color added to show activity, might be able to show the activity along the neuron (like showing which bits of the tv are ative), however a PET-MRI likely wouldn't be fast enough to capture a single signal and might not have the resolution needed to image a single nerve, even one as relatively big as the optic nerve. Especially given the location of the optic nerve, which is lying for the most part directly below the frontal lobe.

The pulses moving along neuron's are generally best captured by EEG. Which is what a VEP does (the bottom right figure is the read out of the EEG and the dips and spikes in it would be the signal traveling through the optic nerve to the brain.
Thank you, I didn't know that regular MRI's couldn't be used to pick up the signal. I'll read more about visual evoked potential tests, since they're exactly what I'm looking for.

Related to Optic Nerve Imaging: Studies & Resources

What is Optic Nerve Imaging?

Optic Nerve Imaging is a method of using various imaging techniques to visualize and study the structures of the optic nerve, which is responsible for transmitting visual information from the eye to the brain.

What are the different types of Optic Nerve Imaging?

There are several types of Optic Nerve Imaging, including Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT), Fundus Photography, and Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscopy (SLO). Each type uses a different technology to capture images of the optic nerve.

What is the purpose of Optic Nerve Imaging?

The purpose of Optic Nerve Imaging is to aid in the diagnosis and management of various eye diseases and conditions that affect the optic nerve, such as glaucoma, optic neuritis, and optic nerve head drusen. It also helps to monitor disease progression and response to treatment.

How is Optic Nerve Imaging performed?

The specific method of performing Optic Nerve Imaging may vary depending on the type of imaging being used. Generally, the patient will be asked to sit in front of the imaging device and look at a specific target while images are captured. Some methods, like OCT, may require the use of eye drops to dilate the pupils for better visualization.

What are the benefits and limitations of Optic Nerve Imaging?

The benefits of Optic Nerve Imaging include its non-invasive nature, high-resolution images, and ability to detect subtle changes in the optic nerve. However, it is important to note that it is not a stand-alone diagnostic tool and should be used in conjunction with other clinical evaluations. It also has limitations, such as the cost of equipment and the potential for artifacts in the images.