Opinions on Classical and Quantum Mechanics Books

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
In summary: Depends on the book...E.g.Sakurai is the best and the most difficult to follow simply because it leaves a loota room for the reader's part...On the other hand,both Massiah & Cohen-Tannoudji are just the opposite:they tend to lose themselves into details and the 2-nd certainly is not reccomendable for STUDY,but for reference material...
Reshma
I've recently picked up these books from an exhibition:
Classical mechanics by Herbert Goldstein
Quantum mechanics by Leonard Schiff
An introduction to the theory of Newtonian Attraction by A.S. Ramsey

Can you give me an opinion on these books? :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.The first is EXCELLENT.

2.The second,well,there are better books on QM...

3.Don't know anything about the third... :rolleyes:

Daniel.

Classical mechanics by Herbert Goldstein <thumbs up>

Quantum mechanics by Leonard Schiff <thumbs up>

An introduction to the theory of Newtonian Attraction by A.S. Ramsey <no idea>

1.) Haven't read it
2.) Not familiar with it
3.) Never heard of it.

Hope this helps.

dextercioby said:
The second,well,there are better books on QM...

Well..what is the best book on QM at undergraduate level?

I think David J.Griffiths and his "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" do a good job.I haven't looked into Greiner,not yet...

Daniel.

What about Gasiorowicz?

I just looked into Greiner.As a whole,though the title is "Quantum Mechanics:An Introduction",it's not suitable for undergrad...It's advanced...The first 3 chapters are purely introductive and will probably go along with Griffiths,but from the 4-th chapter,things are gettin' really serious.

Gasiorowitcz... :confused: I heard about it but i haven't even seen its cover,not to mention the contents...

Daniel.

tribdog said:
1.) Haven't read it
2.) Not familiar with it
3.) Never heard of it.

Hope this helps.

Ha...no wonder you are the funniest member of the year :wink:

Gasiorowicz is a graduate level text, very similar to Schiff or Mertzbacher.

As for Griffiths, if it like his Electrodynamics book, I wouldn't use it. He tends to take shortcuts in setting up example problems. McGervey isn't too bad, the old modern physics text is beter than the newer quantum mechanics book. At the undergrad level it is hard to find a decent text.

Dr Transport said:
As for Griffiths, if it like his Electrodynamics book, I wouldn't use it. He tends to take shortcuts in setting up example problems. .

I believe solving this specific problem is the ROLE OF THE PROFESSOR,don't u think so...?If books were perfect,why would people attend university instead of staying home in bed with the QM textbook/treatise...??

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I believe solving this specific problem is the ROLE OF THE PROFESSOR,don't u think so...?If books were perfect,why would people attend university instead of staying home in bed with the QM textbook/treatise...??

Daniel.

...if there are any good professors in QM in my part of the world! If there are books on QM that can solve my problems, I wouldn't mind sitting at home with these books.

Reshma said:
...if there are any good professors in QM in my part of the world! If there are books on QM that can solve my problems, I wouldn't mind sitting at home with these books.

Depends on the book...E.g.Sakurai is the best and the most difficult to follow simply because it leaves a loota room for the reader's part...On the other hand,both Massiah & Cohen-Tannoudji are just the opposite:they tend to lose themselves into details and the 2-nd certainly is not reccomendable for STUDY,but for reference material...

As for good QM professors,well there are 2 factors:professors who taught them QM & the books they followed... :-p

Daniel.

Related to Opinions on Classical and Quantum Mechanics Books

1. What is the purpose of asking for someone's opinion?

Asking for someone's opinion on a topic allows us to gain new perspectives and insights that we may not have considered before. It also helps to stimulate critical thinking and encourages open-mindedness.

2. How do I give my opinion without offending others?

When giving your opinion, it is important to be respectful and considerate of others' thoughts and feelings. Use language that is neutral and avoid making personal attacks. Also, try to provide reasoning or evidence to support your opinion rather than just stating it as a fact.

3. Is it necessary to have knowledge about a topic in order to give an opinion?

While having knowledge about a topic can certainly enhance the credibility of your opinion, it is not always necessary. As long as you have a logical and well-thought-out perspective, your opinion can still hold value.

4. How can I respond to someone's opinion that I strongly disagree with?

When responding to someone's opinion that you strongly disagree with, it is important to remain respectful and avoid getting defensive. You can ask for clarification on their stance and try to understand their perspective. If necessary, you can also calmly express your own opinion and provide reasoning for why you disagree.

5. How can I use others' opinions to improve my own understanding?

One way to use others' opinions to improve your own understanding is by actively listening and considering their perspective. You can also ask questions to gain more insight and engage in open-minded discussions. Additionally, researching and learning more about a topic can also help to broaden your understanding and incorporate others' opinions.