Open channel flow, mannings equation and specific energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a channel with specific dimensions and a measuring weir. The Manning's roughness coefficient and discharge are given, and the goal is to determine the uniform depth of flow and the depth of water on the weir. The conversation also mentions the use of equations such as Manning's equation and Bernoulli's equation to solve the problem. A numerical solver is used to find the solution, but there is some confusion regarding the correct value for the bed slope.
ShawnCohen

Homework Statement

A 4m wide channel has a bed slope of 1 in 1500 and a Manning's roughness coef n=0.01. A broad crested measuring weir in the form of a streamlined hump 0.4m high spans across the full width of the channel. the discharge is 10.5m^3/s. Determine
i)the uniform depth of flow
iv)the depth of water on the weir, is this critial

Homework Equations

Mannings equation: Q=A^(5/3)*(S)^(1/2)/(n*P^(2/3)) where A is cross sectional area, S is bed slope, P is wetted perimeter

Bernoulli equation elevation+(v^2)/(2*g)=constant (i ignore pressure head here as I am working on surface so use atmospheric pressure as zero)

Specific energy - E=d+(Q/w)^2/(2*g*d^2) where d is the depth and w is the width

The Attempt at a Solution

i use mannings equation to determine the depth and i get 1.22m, but then when i try and find the depth on top of weir i get nowhere, in face if i work out the minimum possible specific energy i get 1.333 and on top of the weir i get 1.05, so I am clearly going wrong somewhere. any help anyone??

Physics news on Phys.org
I admit up front that I don't know much about channel flow rates... but I took your Manning's equation and assumed that if ww = 4m is the channel width, and wd is the unknown water depth, then A = ww*wd and P = ww + 2wd, and take the other constants as given. I inserted a constant ##k = 1m^{1/3}s^{-1}## to make the units balance for flow rate.

Then, using a numerical solver I find that wd = 1.891m.

Of course I may be missing some procedural details regarding taking the weir into account...EDIT: I discovered later that I had used S = 1/5000 instead of 1/1500 for this calculation. See below for further groveling.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, but I am pretty sure that's not right, if you put in 1.22m you get Q=10.47 as required, but if you put in 1.891 you get Q=19.16 don't you?

ShawnCohen said:
thanks for the reply, but I am pretty sure that's not right, if you put in 1.22m you get Q=10.47 as required, but if you put in 1.891 you get Q=19.16 don't you?

Hmm. If I plug wd = 1.891 m into the formula I find Q = 10.5 m3/s. That formula being:

$$Q = k \frac{(ww\;wd)^{5/3}\sqrt{S}}{n (ww + 2wd)^{2/3}}~~~~~~~k = m^{1/3}s^{-1}$$

really?? i keep trying it again and again and i get 1.22 as the answer. what value are you using for S? 1/1500=6.67x10^-4 right?

ShawnCohen said:
really?? i keep trying it again and again and i get 1.22 as the answer. what value are you using for S? 1/1500=6.67x10^-4 right?

D'OH! I've been wasting your time :blushing: For some reason when I copied down the constants I "saw" the slope as 1 in 5000. Much apologies.

If I use the correct value for S then I too get 1.22 m for the depth.

aha i thought i was going insane for a minute. thanks for attempting anyway

Related to Open channel flow, mannings equation and specific energy

1. How is open channel flow different from closed channel flow?

In open channel flow, the fluid is exposed to the atmosphere whereas in closed channel flow, the fluid is confined within a closed conduit, such as a pipe.

2. What is Manning's equation and how is it used in open channel flow?

Manning's equation is an empirical formula that relates the flow velocity, channel slope, and roughness of a channel to the discharge. It is commonly used to determine the flow rate in open channels.

3. What is specific energy in open channel flow?

Specific energy is the energy per unit weight of fluid at a certain point in a channel. It is the sum of the velocity head and the elevation head at that point.

4. How does channel slope affect the flow in open channels?

The channel slope plays a crucial role in determining the flow velocity and discharge in open channels. A steeper slope will result in a higher flow velocity and discharge.

5. What is the significance of roughness in Manning's equation?

Roughness is an important factor in Manning's equation as it represents the resistance to flow caused by the roughness of the channel bed and walls. A higher roughness value will result in a lower flow velocity and discharge.