Online summer classes, specifically Calculus III

In summary, the main question is if the student can handle summer camp + course and if they benefit from looking at a professor teach the class. The other question is if the class is hard and if the student can benefit from it.
Null_
Hey everyone, I've asked something similar, but the time to sign up for summer classes is nearing.

Reason I want to take Calc III this summer- so I can take Modern Physics in the fall.

I will be working 40 hours a week at a summer camp, so I'm not sure how that will pan out with an online class. I love Calc II right now and find it really easy. The way that our setup works is we have online lectures and homework with a forum for questions. I've heard the professor gives his cell phone # too. We take the tests and exam at a local community college.

Is this setting myself up to fail? The other alternative is going to a university at the beach and living there to take it. I'd probably take Orgo if I did that.

My main question is how hard would Online Calc III be? How much did you benefit from looking at a professor teach it? I would like to get an A. If someone took it online or another comparable class and is willing to share, that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find online classes easier because I don't have to listen to the instructor speak and it forces them to follow a textbook. So if you are competent at self study it will not present a problem.

(I really wish all math classes were offered online/independent study, instructors who feel their notes are better then textbooks are delusional.)

The only question is if you can handle summer camp + course.

Skrew said:
... instructors who feel their notes are better then textbooks are delusional.). ...
Why exactly?

My instructor has his own note set separate from the textbook because the school requires all calc I-III classes to use Stewart's book. He apparently hates Stewart's.

Regardless, I suppose I can give it a try. I'll be working 8-4 every day, so I should have at least two hours a day to dedicate to the class.

I understand the importance of planning and setting goals for your academic career. It is commendable that you are considering taking Calculus III over the summer in order to be able to take Modern Physics in the fall. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential challenges and drawbacks of taking an online course while working full-time at a summer camp.

Firstly, it is important to note that online courses require a high level of self-motivation and discipline. Without the structure and guidance of in-person lectures and discussions, it can be easy to fall behind or lose focus. Additionally, working 40 hours a week at a summer camp may leave you with limited time and energy to dedicate to your online coursework. It is important to realistically assess whether you will be able to balance your work schedule with the demands of an online course.

Furthermore, while online courses can offer convenience and flexibility, they may not be as effective as in-person classes when it comes to learning complex subjects such as Calculus III. In an online setting, you may not have the same level of interaction and support from your professor and classmates as you would in a traditional classroom. This could potentially hinder your understanding and mastery of the material.

In terms of your question about the difficulty of online Calculus III, it ultimately depends on your individual learning style and work ethic. Some students may find it manageable, while others may struggle without the structure and support of in-person classes. It may be helpful to reach out to your professor or other students who have taken the course online to get a better understanding of their experiences and outcomes.

In summary, while taking an online Calculus III course may seem like a convenient option, it is important to carefully consider the potential challenges and drawbacks. I would also suggest exploring alternative options, such as taking the course at a university at the beach or taking Orgo instead, to ensure that you set yourself up for success in your academic pursuits.

Related to Online summer classes, specifically Calculus III

1. What is Calculus III?

Calculus III is an advanced course in mathematics that builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I and II. It focuses on multivariable calculus, which includes topics such as vector calculus, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals.

2. Can I take Calculus III online?

Yes, many universities offer online summer classes for Calculus III. However, it is important to check with your specific institution to ensure that the online course will fulfill your academic requirements.

3. What are the benefits of taking Calculus III online?

Taking Calculus III online allows for flexibility in scheduling and the ability to work at your own pace. It also eliminates the need for commuting to campus and allows for a more comfortable learning environment.

4. Will the quality of education be the same in an online Calculus III class?

Yes, the quality of education in an online Calculus III class is typically the same as an in-person class. Online courses are often taught by the same professors and cover the same material. However, it is important to have strong self-motivation and time management skills to succeed in an online course.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking Calculus III online?

Most institutions require students to have completed Calculus I and II before enrolling in Calculus III. It is important to check with your university for any specific prerequisites or placement tests required for the online course.