Online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

In summary, Michigan State University offers an online graduate degree in beam physics at both the masters and PhD level. This program includes courses from the university, the US Particle Accelerator School, and potential thesis work. However, it seems that some in-person attendance at MSU may be required.
mendojazzhead
Online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State??

I live in a remote area, and had begun researching possible online graduate programs in advanced physics and the only legitimate one seems to be at Mich State. The degree is offered in beam physics at the masters and PhD level...You take courses online through the university as well as some government funded program called the Particle Accelerator School. The MSU website makes it sound as if anyone who wishes to pursue grad level physics from a remote location has the opportunity. Pretty impressive if its true...has anyone heard or participated in this that could tell me more??

Physics news on Phys.org

From their website:

"A combination of VUBeam courses, courses offered by the US Particle Accelerator School, courses taken in residence at MSU, transferred credit, and thesis work, allow to earn a Master's or Ph.D. Degree in Physics."

It sounds like you would need to be at MSU at some point. I don't even see how doing an online Ph.D. even sounds feasible or realistic.

As a fellow scientist, I can say that the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State is a reputable and highly respected program. The university has a strong reputation in the field of physics and is known for its cutting-edge research in beam physics. The fact that they offer this program online is a testament to their commitment to making education accessible to all students, regardless of their location.

Additionally, the inclusion of the Particle Accelerator School in the program is a valuable opportunity for hands-on experience and networking with experts in the field. I have not personally participated in this program, but I have colleagues who have and they have spoken highly of it.

I would encourage you to reach out to the university for more information and possibly connect with alumni or current students to get a better understanding of the program. Pursuing a graduate degree in beam physics from a remote location is indeed a remarkable opportunity, and I believe Michigan State University is a great choice for it. Best of luck in your academic pursuits.

Related to Online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

What is an online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

An online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State is a program designed for students who want to pursue a graduate-level education in the field of beam physics, but prefer the flexibility of online learning. This program offers courses and research opportunities in topics such as accelerator design, particle beam dynamics, and beam instrumentation.

What are the admission requirements for the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

The admission requirements for the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics or engineering, with a minimum GPA requirement. Applicants may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

How long does it take to complete the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

The length of time it takes to complete the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State depends on several factors, such as the student's course load, previous education and experience, and whether they are pursuing a full-time or part-time program. On average, the program can be completed in 2-3 years.

What career opportunities are available with an online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

Graduates of the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State may have career opportunities in fields such as accelerator technology, nuclear physics, medical physics, and materials science. They may also work in research laboratories, government agencies, or academic institutions.

Can I pursue a PhD after completing the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State?

Yes, students who complete the online graduate degree in beam physics at Michigan State may go on to pursue a PhD in the field. However, admission to a PhD program may have additional requirements, such as research experience and academic achievements during the graduate program.