Online degree vs campus school?

In summary, focus on gaining experience and advancing in your current job while researching and considering your options for a Masters program in engineering.
phoenixosu
I got my self a job after my B.S. in EE and CpE. So in about a year or maybe sooner I will start a masters in engineering (electrical, IC design preferable). The problem is that the campus school near where I work (Boise State) isn't very highly ranked nation wide, now if I get a 4.0 from there (and it is ABET acretided) I can still do a lot with it. But I can also get an online MSEE or MEngEE from a school like Arizona State University or Polytechnic Institute of New York University. The other option is to save up a lot of money and quit after a few years to go back to school and I don't know that that will be an option for me. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
My recommendation would be to get the most out of your current job. Take on additional responsibilities, pursue a higher salary, and gain as much experience as possible. This will not only help you become more marketable for jobs in the future, but it will also help you make a decision when it comes time to decide which Masters program to attend. If you find that your current job is not providing the opportunities you are looking for, then look into the schools you mentioned. Make sure to research each school thoroughly, as well as their respective programs, to ensure that you are selecting the one that best meets your needs.

Related to Online degree vs campus school?

1. What is the main difference between an online degree and a campus school?

The main difference between an online degree and a campus school is the mode of instruction. Online degree programs are completed entirely online, while campus schools require students to attend classes in person. This also means that students in online programs have more flexibility in terms of when and where they study, while campus schools typically follow a set schedule.

2. Are online degrees as reputable as degrees from campus schools?

Yes, online degrees are just as reputable as degrees from campus schools. Most reputable universities and colleges now offer online degree programs that have the same accreditation and academic rigor as their traditional on-campus programs. The reputation of an online degree depends on the institution offering it, just like with campus schools.

3. Can I get the same quality of education in an online degree as I would in a campus school?

Yes, you can receive the same quality of education in an online degree as you would in a campus school. Online degree programs often have the same curriculum and learning outcomes as their on-campus counterparts. Additionally, online students have access to the same resources and support as campus students, such as online libraries, academic advisors, and virtual tutoring.

4. Are online degrees more affordable than campus schools?

In general, online degrees tend to be more affordable than campus schools. This is because online programs often have lower tuition rates and students can save on expenses such as transportation and housing. However, this may vary depending on the institution and the specific program. It's important to research and compare the costs of both options before making a decision.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of choosing an online degree over a campus school?

Advantages of choosing an online degree include flexibility in schedule and location, potentially lower costs, and the ability to continue working while studying. Disadvantages may include less interaction with professors and classmates, and a need for strong time management and self-motivation skills. On the other hand, advantages of a campus school include face-to-face interaction with professors and peers, access to on-campus resources and facilities, and potentially greater networking opportunities. Disadvantages may include a more rigid schedule and higher costs. Ultimately, the best option depends on the individual's learning style, preferences, and circumstances.