One question on the sampling theorem in Fourier transform

In summary, the speaker is working on using Fourier transform to identify buildings in high resolution satellite images. They have converted the 2-D images to 1-D data and are hoping to use the frequency of n pixels to identify the buildings. However, they have found that the frequency of 100 is not present in the results from Matlab. They are seeking help to understand the problem and how to solve it.
Star_Sky
Hello everyone,

The question that I have may not be fully relevant to the title, but I thought that could be the best point to start the main question!
I'm working on 2-D data which are images. For some reason, I have converted my data to a 1-D vector, and then transformed them to the frequency domain using Fourier transform. My principal idea is that some features repeat every n pixels, say 100 pixels, in the image, where the total size of the vectorized form of the image is N. Therefore, as I know, the frequency I'm looking for would be n. However, I guess this idea is not true at all. Further, when I take Fourier transform of my data, using Matlab, there is not the frequency of 100 within the frequencies that Matlab yields. I'm really confused because of this and hope you can help me and tell me where the problem is and how to solve that.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Star_Sky said:
Hello everyone,

The question that I have may not be fully relevant to the title, but I thought that could be the best point to start the main question!
I'm working on 2-D data which are images. For some reason, I have converted my data to a 1-D vector, and then transformed them to the frequency domain using Fourier transform. My principal idea is that some features repeat every n pixels, say 100 pixels, in the image, where the total size of the vectorized form of the image is N. Therefore, as I know, the frequency I'm looking for would be n. However, I guess this idea is not true at all. Further, when I take Fourier transform of my data, using Matlab, there is not the frequency of 100 within the frequencies that Matlab yields. I'm really confused because of this and hope you can help me and tell me where the problem is and how to solve that.

Thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you post some sample images that you are working with?

Why are you converting the 2-D images to 1-D data? That seems to be a pretty random thing to do, IMO...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post some sample images that you are working with?

Why are you converting the 2-D images to 1-D data? That seems to be a pretty random thing to do, IMO...

Thank you for the reply.
The images I'm working on cover the buildings of urban areas; that is, applying very high resolution satellite imagery. Particularly, my goal is to identify the buildings located within n pixels. I want to use the Fourier transform to get their frequency, and then perform the inverse Fourier transform to achieve only the n-pixel wide buildings! Of course, before applying inverse Fourier transform, I first convert the vectorized image to its original 2-D format. This is all I'm going to do using Fourier transform.

Related to One question on the sampling theorem in Fourier transform

1. What is the sampling theorem in Fourier transform?

The sampling theorem in Fourier transform, also known as the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, states that a continuous signal can be completely represented by a discrete sequence of samples as long as the sampling rate is greater than twice the highest frequency component of the signal.

2. Why is the sampling theorem important in signal processing?

The sampling theorem is important in signal processing because it ensures that the original signal can be accurately reconstructed from its sampled version. This is crucial in many applications such as audio and image processing.

3. What happens if the sampling rate is lower than the Nyquist rate?

If the sampling rate is lower than the Nyquist rate, aliasing occurs, which means that the high frequency components of the signal overlap with the lower frequency components, resulting in distortion and loss of information in the reconstructed signal.

4. Can the sampling theorem be applied to non-periodic signals?

No, the sampling theorem can only be applied to periodic signals. Non-periodic signals can still be sampled, but the sampling rate must be high enough to capture the entire bandwidth of the signal.

5. What are some practical applications of the sampling theorem?

The sampling theorem has many practical applications, including digital audio and image processing, telecommunications, and data compression. It is also used in medical imaging and radar systems to accurately represent and analyze signals.