One Dimensional motion of particle in a potential field

In summary: This x is the turning point.Can you do that ?In summary, the given potential field V(x) = V0(x-a)(x-b)/(x-c)^2, with 0 < a < b < c < ∞, describes a classical particle constrained to move in one dimension (x). It has a peak at x=c and a minimum between a and b. When the particle is known to be at x≈∞ with energy E = 3V0(b-4a+3c)/(c-b), it will reflect at the turning point x, where there is no more kinetic energy and the potential energy is equal to E. This can be solved for x using the given equation.
sabanboy
A classical particle constrained to move in one dimension (x) is in the potential field V(x) = V0(x – a)(x –b)/(x – c)^2, 0 < a < b < c < ∞.
a. Make a sketch of V
b. Discuss the possible motions, forbidden domains, and turning points. Specifically, if the
particle is known to be at x → ∞ with E = 3V0(b – 4a + 3c)/(c – b), at which value of x
does it reflect?

I'm not sure how to approach this problem any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Saban, and welcome to PF.
Here's my tip:
Start with a)

Thanks I have it drawn and reviewed it with my professor who told me the sketch is correct. I'm still not sure as to how to complete part b though.

I don't have your sketch, but I can kind of telepatically pick it up :smile:
So you see a big peak at x=c. And a minimum between a and b. Right ?

Good that you already did the first discussion in part b) and now want to complete it.

In the completion of part b the particle comes from the right, with a given E.
Is it clear to you that it doesn't have enough energy to get to x < c ?

So what you know about the turning point is that at that point there is no more kinetic energy, just potential energy.
Since the given E(x≈∞) = Ekin(x≈∞) + V(x≈∞) is the same as E at the turning point x, you obtain an equation in x.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the potential field V(x) and its behavior. From the given equation, we can see that V(x) has three distinct terms: V0, (x-a)(x-b), and (x-c)^2. The term V0 represents a constant potential, while the other two terms involve the position of the particle (x) and the constants a, b, and c.

a. To make a sketch of V, we can plot the potential as a function of x. We know that the potential is zero when x = a, b, or c, and it increases as x moves away from these points. We also know that the potential is at a maximum when x is halfway between a and b, and at a minimum when x is halfway between b and c. Therefore, our sketch of V(x) would look like a "W" shape, with the minimum points at x = (a+b)/2 and x = (b+c)/2, and the maximum point at x = (a+c)/2.

b. Now, let's discuss the possible motions of a particle in this potential field. The particle is constrained to move in one dimension, so it can only move along the x-axis. The particle will experience a force given by F(x) = -dV(x)/dx, where dV(x)/dx is the derivative of the potential with respect to x. This force will cause the particle to move towards points of lower potential, and away from points of higher potential.

The forbidden domains in this potential field would be the regions where the potential is infinite, which would occur at x = a, b, or c. This means that the particle cannot exist at these points, and if it were to reach these points, it would bounce back due to the infinite force.

The turning points in this potential field would be the points where the potential changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa. These points would be the minimum and maximum points we identified in our sketch of V(x).

Now, let's consider the specific scenario given in the question. The particle is known to be at x → ∞ with E = 3V0(b – 4a + 3c)/(c – b). At this point, the particle has a certain energy, E, which is related to its velocity and position through the equation E = (1/2)

Related to One Dimensional motion of particle in a potential field

1. What is one dimensional motion of a particle in a potential field?

The one dimensional motion of a particle in a potential field refers to the movement of a particle along a single axis, such as the x-axis, while being influenced by a potential energy function. This type of motion is commonly seen in physics and engineering systems.

2. What is a potential field?

A potential field is a region in which a force can be derived from a scalar potential function. In other words, the force acting on a particle depends only on the position of the particle, not its velocity or acceleration. Examples of potential fields include gravitational and electric fields.

3. How does a particle move in a potential field?

In a potential field, a particle will move in a way that minimizes its potential energy. This means that the particle will move towards areas of lower potential energy and away from areas of higher potential energy. The exact path of the particle's motion will depend on the shape of the potential energy function.

4. What factors affect the motion of a particle in a potential field?

The motion of a particle in a potential field can be affected by several factors, including the shape and strength of the potential energy function, the initial position and velocity of the particle, and the presence of any external forces acting on the particle.

5. What is the significance of one dimensional motion in potential fields?

One dimensional motion in potential fields is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems. This type of motion is commonly used in the analysis of simple systems and can also serve as a building block for understanding more complex motions in higher dimensions.