One Dimensional Kinematics Problem

In summary, the motorcycle has travelled 507 meters when it catches the ferrari, with the given information of the ferrari's constant speed and the police officer's acceleration after a 2 second delay. Using the equations d=vt for the ferrari and d=1/2at^2 for the police, and setting them equal to each other, the distance can be calculated by solving for displacement.
MozAngeles

Homework Statement

How far has the motorcycle traveled, when it catches the ferarri?
A ferrari speeding at a constant 35m/s passes a police officer at rest. 2.0 s later, the officer accelerates in pursuit at 6.5 m/s^2. How far has the motorcycle traveled, when it catches the ferarri?
I know the d=vt for the ferarri and d=1/2at^2 for the police, but what is throwing me off is the 2.0 seconds later part. Help please!

Homework Equations

d=vt for the ferarri
d=1/2at2 for the police

The Attempt at a Solution

I set vt=1/2at2
solved for t and got t=2v/a=12.769 I thought I could just add the two seconds to it, but that is wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
You're solving for the distance the motorcycle travelled, I think in this case time is only needed to find the car's velocity. You should have all the information needed to find displacement.

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

solve for displacement.

But I'm not given a final velocity. The answer turns out to be 507m I just do not know how.. I know that I have to set two equations equal to each other though

Related to One Dimensional Kinematics Problem

1. What is one dimensional kinematics?

One dimensional kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a single straight line. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering any other factors such as rotation or forces.

2. How is distance different from displacement in one dimensional kinematics?

Distance is the total length covered by an object in its motion, while displacement is the straight line distance between the object's initial and final position. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in one dimensional kinematics?

Speed is the rate at which an object covers distance, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its displacement. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity and includes direction.

4. How is acceleration related to velocity in one dimensional kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. It is the measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing in a specific direction. If an object's velocity is constant, then its acceleration is zero.

5. How can one dimensional kinematics be applied to real-world situations?

One dimensional kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of objects in everyday life, such as the motion of vehicles, projectiles, and sports equipment. It can also be applied to study the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites.