One-D Kinematic Question w/ rising hot air balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hot-air balloon rising at a constant rate and a passenger who realizes she has left her camera on the ground. The camera is tossed upward by a friend and the question is asked about how high the passenger will be when the camera reaches her. The relevant equations and confusion about the acceleration of the camera are also mentioned. After clarification, it is determined that the acceleration of the camera is the same as any other body in free fall and the balloon's acceleration is zero since it is rising at a constant rate.
millergc

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon has just lifted off and is rising at a constant rate of 2.3m/s. Suddenly, one of the passengers realizes she has left her camera on the ground. A friend picks it up and tosses it straight upward with an initial speed of 14m/s.

If the passenger is 2.5m above her friend when the camera is tossed, how high is she when the camera reaches her.

Homework Equations

Constant linear acceleration equations

v=v(i) +a*t
x=x(i) + v(i)t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The part of this problem that confuses me is the acceleration of the camera. I know that the acceleration of the balloon is just -9.8 but how can I find the acceleration of the camera without time, etc. I tried solving where x(balloon)= x(camera) but i used -9.8 as the acceleration for both and i do not believe i got the right time.

Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
millergc said:
The part of this problem that confuses me is the acceleration of the camera.
The acceleration of the camera is the same as any other body in free fall.
I know that the acceleration of the balloon is just -9.8
No. You are told that the balloon is rising at a constant rate--so what must be its acceleration?

Doc Al said:
The acceleration of the camera is the same as any other body in free fall.

No. You are told that the balloon is rising at a constant rate--so what must be its acceleration?

zero, ok i understand, i just thought -g would still act on the balloon but it wouldn't

Thanks

Related to One-D Kinematic Question w/ rising hot air balloon

1. How does the rising hot air balloon affect the kinematics of objects on the ground?

The rising hot air balloon does not directly affect the kinematics of objects on the ground. However, it can indirectly affect the air flow and wind patterns, which can impact the motion of objects on the ground.

2. What is the relationship between the velocity of the hot air balloon and the acceleration of objects on the ground?

There is no direct relationship between the velocity of the hot air balloon and the acceleration of objects on the ground. The acceleration of objects on the ground is influenced by factors such as gravity and air resistance, while the velocity of the hot air balloon is affected by its own buoyancy and wind conditions.

3. How does the rising hot air balloon affect the trajectory of projectiles?

The rising hot air balloon does not directly affect the trajectory of projectiles. However, it may indirectly impact the air resistance and wind patterns, which can alter the trajectory of the projectile.

4. What is the role of air resistance in the motion of a rising hot air balloon?

Air resistance plays a significant role in the motion of a rising hot air balloon. As the balloon rises, it encounters increasing air resistance, which slows down its ascent. This is why hot air balloons typically have a burner to continuously heat up the air and maintain their upward motion.

5. How does the mass of the hot air balloon affect its motion?

The mass of the hot air balloon does not have a significant impact on its motion. The buoyancy force, which is responsible for the balloon's upward motion, is determined by the volume of hot air inside the balloon, not its mass. However, a heavier balloon may require more heat from the burner to maintain its ascent.