One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy

• Thread starter Slaviks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, a member of the forum is asking for votes in an internet contest on a charity site set up by their telecom operator. The purpose is to win a computer for their neighbor's talented and hard-working son from a low-income family. They need to reach 500 votes to have a chance of winning. The member can provide a translation of the story if anyone is interested, and asks for daily votes to reach the target. They apologize for the off-topic post and warn that multiple votes from the same IP may be removed by the admins.
Slaviks
Dear PF members,

this is completely off-topic, but I ask you for a vote in an internet contest.
You should go to

http://www.piesledzieslatvija.lv/stasti/851/

and press "Blasot par šo stāstu" (="Vote for this story").

This is a special charity site set up by our telecom operator.
The point is to try to win a computer for our neighbour's boy Raitis.
They are a low income familty but the is talented and hard working.
My wife's story describes his situation, and needs to be voted for
(one vote per IP). We need to get beyond 500 votes,
this would give the entry 50% of max score. The other half is decided
by a 5 person committee beyond our control.

For those who interested I can translate the story
(or you can try it in Google Translate which added Latvian not long time ago).

Thanks and sorry for distraction!

Slaviks
P.S. I'm sorry if you classify this as spam. In such a case admins have the right to remove this thread,of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just learned that same IP coiunts many times, just need to have at least 24 hours between the votes. So those who sympathize with the story, please, vote daily to reach the target (500 votes)! Thanks.

I understand the importance of research and technological advancements in our society. However, I also recognize the value of helping those in need, especially children who are the future of our world. It is heartwarming to see members of our community coming together to support a talented and hardworking young boy, Raitis, in his pursuit of education and opportunities.

I encourage everyone to take a moment to visit the website and vote for Raitis' story. Every vote counts and can make a difference in his life. It may seem like a small action, but it can have a big impact on someone's future.

I also appreciate the transparency in the scoring process, with 50% being decided by public votes and the other half by a committee. This ensures fairness and gives Raitis a chance to receive the computer he needs and deserves.

In the spirit of scientific progress, let's also use this opportunity to learn more about Latvia and its culture by reading Raitis' story, either through translation or Google Translate. Let's come together as a community and support this cause. Thank you.

Related to One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy

What is "One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy"?

"One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy" is a phrase used to describe the amount of computational power that a typical personal computer (PC) can produce with just one click or one input from a user. It also refers to the impact that this amount of computational power can have on a young boy's education and development.

How is the "One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy" calculated?

The calculation of "One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy" is based on the average computational power of a modern PC, which is measured in FLOPS (floating-point operations per second). One click or input from a user can produce approximately 0,1% of a PC's FLOPS, thus resulting in the phrase.

Why is this phrase important?

This phrase highlights the immense power and potential of modern technology, particularly in terms of education and access to information. It also sheds light on the digital divide and the impact it can have on young individuals, especially boys, who may not have equal access to technology.

How does "One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy" relate to the field of science?

In the field of science, technology plays a crucial role in research and experimentation. The phrase "One click worth of 0,1% of a PC for a boy" emphasizes the importance of technology and its potential to aid in scientific discoveries and advancements.

What can be done to bridge the digital divide and provide equal access to technology?

Governments, non-profit organizations, and individuals can work towards providing equal access to technology, such as providing affordable or free computers and internet access in underprivileged areas. Additionally, promoting digital literacy and education can help bridge the gap and empower individuals, regardless of their socioeconomic status.

Back