Once it hits the runway, how long till the Jet stops?

In summary, a jet plane with a velocity of 101 meters/second and an acceleration of -5.1 meters/second^2 can come to a complete stop on a runway that is 0.80 x 10^9 μ meters long. The time it takes for the plane to stop can be calculated using the equations v = v0 + at and x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2.
therza7001
A jet plane lands with a velocity of 101 meters/second and can accelerate at -5.1 meters/second2 when coming to a rest.

a) Once it hits the runway, how long till it stops?

b) Can this plane land on Gilligan’s Island if its runway is 0.80 x 109 μ meters long?

2. Homework Equations

v = v0 + at
x − x0 = (1/2)(v0 + v)t
x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this problem. I have had one physics class. Sorry guys. Your help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry guys... i should of labeled the title to be something like..."distance covered with changing velocity" sorry I'm new here

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your physics homework. I would be happy to assist you with this problem.

To answer the first question, we can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity (in this case, 0 m/s), v0 is the initial velocity (101 m/s), a is the acceleration (-5.1 m/s^2), and t is the time we are trying to find. We can rearrange this equation to solve for t:

t = (v - v0)/a

Substituting in the values, we get:

t = (0 m/s - 101 m/s)/(-5.1 m/s^2) = 19.8 seconds

Therefore, it will take approximately 19.8 seconds for the plane to come to a complete stop once it hits the runway.

For the second question, we can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, where x is the distance traveled (in this case, 0.80 x 10^9 μ meters), x0 is the initial position (0 meters), v0 is the initial velocity (101 m/s), a is the acceleration (-5.1 m/s^2), and t is the time we found in the first question (19.8 seconds). We can rearrange this equation to solve for v0:

v0 = (x - x0 - (1/2)at^2)/t

Substituting in the values, we get:

v0 = (0.80 x 10^9 μ meters - 0 meters - (1/2)(-5.1 m/s^2)(19.8 seconds)^2)/(19.8 seconds) = 100.5 m/s

Therefore, the initial velocity of the plane must be at least 100.5 m/s for it to be able to land on Gilligan's Island's runway, assuming no other factors (such as air resistance) are involved.

I hope this helps you with your homework. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Related to Once it hits the runway, how long till the Jet stops?

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult physics homework problem?

The best way to approach a difficult physics homework problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the known variables and equations that relate to the problem. Then, work through each step carefully, making sure to show all of your work and double-checking your calculations as you go.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice regularly. This can include working through example problems, using online resources or textbooks, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed. Additionally, try to connect the concepts you are learning to real-world applications to better understand their relevance.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular topic in physics?

If you are struggling with a particular topic in physics, don't be afraid to ask for help. Talk to your teacher, join a study group, or seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems. It's also important to review your notes and try to identify any areas where you may need extra practice or clarification.

4. How can I check if my physics homework answers are correct?

To check if your physics homework answers are correct, it's important to double-check your work and calculations. It can also be helpful to compare your answers to those in the back of your textbook or to solutions provided by your teacher. If you are still unsure, consider seeking help from a tutor or teacher for further clarification.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when completing physics homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when completing physics homework include not showing all of your work, using incorrect units or conversion factors, and not fully understanding the concepts behind the problem. It's also important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and formulas for the given problem.