Mountain Climber- how many cm will the rope stretch before she stops?

In summary, the problem asks us to calculate the amount of rope stretch when a mountain climber falls and is decelerated by a rope with a constant deceleration of 5.2g. Using the equation for work and kinetic energy, we can determine that the rope will stretch approximately 86.5 cm before the climber comes to a complete stop. However, the given solution of 707 cm is incorrect and further calculations or adjustments may be needed.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

A mountain climber is attached to a rope. She slips, and after she has fallen 4.5 m, the rope begins to help decelerate her. If the constant deceleration is 5.2g, how many cm will the rope stretch before she stops? (For most real ropes, the deceleration depends on the stretching of the rope.)

Homework Equations

x = x0 + v0t + 1/2 at2

v = v0 + at

2(x-x0) = (v+v0)t

v^2 = v^02 + 2a(x − x0)

g = 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh1 = mgh2
mass cancels on each side

(9.8m/s^2) * 5.2 = 50.96 m/s^2

(50.96 m/s^2) h = 9.8m/s^2 * 4.5 meter
h = 0.865 meters of rope stretch
= 86.5 cm

=> incorrect answer. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I still couldn't get the right answer! Help please!

Hi! First off, your problem statement could use some work:

constant deceleration is 5.2g
what does this mean? grams?

(9.8m/s^2) * 5.2 = 50.96 m/s^2

what are you calculating here?

Anyway, let's think about this in a different light: You know that there is a relationship between the Work done on the climber and the climber's change in kinetic energy right?

Can you give me an equation that represents this relationship? :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Hi! First off, your problem statement could use some work:

what does this mean? grams?

what are you calculating here?

Anyway, let's think about this in a different light: You know that there is a relationship between the Work done on the climber and the climber's change in kinetic energy right?

Can you give me an equation that represents this relationship? :smile:

5g = 5 * 9.8 m/s^2.

The equation is included on my problem above ;)

Hi again! No. That is not an equation, that is a calculation. I am looking for the relationship between work and kinetic energy. It says that

W = something to do with KE

Saladsamurai said:
Hi again! No. That is not an equation, that is a calculation. I am looking for the relationship between work and kinetic energy. It says that

W = something to do with KE

Here is how I just did:

a) velocity when she falling:

v^2 = 0 + 2(9.8)*4 = 78.4 => v = 8.9 m/s

b) when she fall at the end of the rope then she stops, so velocity at that time is 0 which is v = 0 m/s.
Now we know that at the end of the rope her velocity is 8.9 m/s, then she stop and continue to falling down (the rope stretching) => v0 = 8.9 m/s. We need to find her velocity after the rope stretching:

0 = 8.9^2 + 2(-5.6)Delta x
=> Delta x = 7.07 m => 707 cm => wrong answer.

What am I doing wrong?

Related to Mountain Climber- how many cm will the rope stretch before she stops?

1. How does the length of the rope affect its stretch?

The length of the rope does not affect its stretch. The material and construction of the rope are the primary factors that determine how much it will stretch.

2. What materials are commonly used to make climbing ropes?

Climbing ropes are typically made of nylon, polyester, or a blend of these materials. These materials are strong, durable, and have some elasticity to help absorb shock during a fall.

3. Is there a standard amount of stretch for climbing ropes?

Yes, there is a standard amount of stretch for climbing ropes. A dynamic climbing rope should have a stretch of 5-7% under a load of 80kg, which is the weight of the average climber.

4. How can I test the stretch of my climbing rope?

The best way to test the stretch of your climbing rope is to perform a dynamic rope test. This involves attaching a weight to one end of the rope and pulling down on the other end until the rope stretches to its full length. The amount of stretch can then be measured and compared to the standard 5-7%.

5. Can a climbing rope stretch too much?

Yes, a climbing rope can stretch too much. If a rope is too old or has been subjected to excessive use and abuse, it may have lost its elasticity and can stretch beyond the standard 5-7%. This can compromise its safety and should be replaced.