On what does the cfm of fan depend?

In summary, the cfm of a fan depends on factors such as blade efficiency, motor size, and obstruction to airflow. To gain maximum cfm from a 1800 rpm fan, one should consider factors such as blade length, duct design, and placement in the system. In order to create suction for a wall climbing car, one must consider the force exerted by the fan, the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the wall, and the area of the skirt against the wall. Additionally, the gap between the skirt and the wall must be carefully selected to maintain sufficient airflow over the fan blades for proper pressure generation.
Nilay Gala
On what does the cfm of fan depend ? how to gain maximum cfm from a 1800 rpm fan ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Longer blades, a bigger motor and less obstruction to airflow will give a greater cfm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan

Are you sure it is a fan that you are considering? The difference between a fan and a blower depends on the pressure ratio between input and output. If it generates a pressure ratio of 1.1 or less, then it is a fan. At STP a pressure ratio of 1.1 is only about 1.5 psi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan#Difference_between_fans_and_blowers

Blade efficiency, duct design, RPMs as you said, placement in the system. Remember CFM is just a mass flow rate, which depends on density, cross sectional area, and velocity. Ask yourself what are the variables within those parameters. You could also look into actuator disk theory and some other more advanced topics to get yourself an idea of what affects what.

Last edited by a moderator:
i need to create suction to stick to walls using a small fan . hence i need to know if the 1800 RPM fan is enough to create suction so that the small box or case in which fan is placed will stick to the wall . it is vacuum cleaner concept but used to stick to the wall . and for this i guess i need sufficient CFM . and i am not using a motor for this . i am using a ready made 1800 rpm fan . suggest me someting

suggest me a good fan for suction to stick on the wall . i am making a project on wall climbing car

see this

Attachments

• 06044441_pro.jpg
    06044441_pro.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 538
You need to do the analysis yourself and figure out the force exerted by the fan. Use F= mdot*V to start.

and what is m and v exactly ?

pick up your book and figure it out. Is this what passes for an engineering student these days?

i know that stands for mass and velocity okay . but still i thought of knowing it from you

You've given us virtually no useful information about what you are trying to do, so even if we wanted to do your project for you, we couldn't. Please put some actual effort into this. We'll help more when we see you put more effort in.

@ Nilay Gala. The problem is really not maximum cfm. It is getting traction from the wheels against the wall. In post #6 you show a sloping wall.
What is the maximum angle of the wall the car will climb?

Consider a vertical wall. The car will slide down the wall unless the wheels have traction. What is the coefficient of friction between the wheels and the wall? What does the car weigh? From that you can calculate the minimum force needed to hold the wheels against the wall.

That wall force results from the partial vacuum between the car and the wall. To have a partial vacuum requires a skirt to prevent high cfm and loss of partial vacuum. What is the area of the skirt against the wall? That let's you calculate the air pressure reduction needed to press the wheels onto the wall.

If the skirt touches the wall there will be friction that prevents the car moving, but it will need a low cfm to hold on. If the gap between skirt and wall is too great, there will not be sufficient pressure for the wheels to grip. The gap must be selected to keep some flow through the fan because without airflow over the blade airfoil it will stall and not generate the pressure difference needed.

So before any calculation can be made, you must find the total vehicle mass, the wheel to wall friction coefficient and the car's skirt area.

Related to On what does the cfm of fan depend?

1. What is CFM and how is it measured?

CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and is a unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of air that a fan can move in one minute. It is determined by measuring the volume of air that passes through the fan in a minute.

2. What factors affect the CFM of a fan?

The CFM of a fan is primarily affected by the size and speed of the fan blades, as well as the power of the motor. Other factors that can impact the CFM include the design of the fan housing and any obstructions in the air flow.

3. How do I calculate the CFM needed for a specific space?

To calculate the CFM needed for a space, you will need to consider the size of the space, the desired air flow rate (usually measured in air changes per hour), and any special requirements such as air conditioning or ventilation needs. There are also online calculators and formulas that can help with this calculation.

4. Can the CFM of a fan be increased?

Yes, the CFM of a fan can be increased by increasing the speed of the fan blades or by using a larger fan with more powerful motors. However, it is important to note that increasing the CFM may also result in increased noise levels and energy consumption.

5. Is the CFM of a fan the only factor to consider when choosing a fan?

No, the CFM is an important factor to consider when choosing a fan, but it is not the only factor. Other factors such as noise level, energy efficiency, and durability should also be taken into account when selecting a fan for a specific application.