(?) on using external dvd cd rom

• Thread starter slee95
  • Start date
In summary, the Dell external CD DVD drive, model No. Pd01s, has a double USB end, with one for power and one for data. This type of connection is called a D Bay connection and was used by Dell for external drives on their laptops. It is not compatible with regular USB connections, but the drive can potentially be removed from its casing and placed into a regular USB external case. The pinout diagram provided can help identify the USB lines on the drive end.
slee95
Got this external cd dvd drive made by dell the model is No. Pd01s.
I would like to know how to hook it up because the end is not a regular usb end it lloks more like a double usb end.

Computer science news on Phys.org
One of the usbs provides power and the other is for data, so you just plug both of them into the computer.

It appears that connection is called a D Bay connection and it was used by Dell as a connection for external drives for their Laptops.

So unless you have a Dell laptop with that connection or you can find an adapter (I tried but couldn't find one on google) you're out of luck.

See i learn this every day and its a first to learn what a D Bay connection is thanks for helping me :)

The pinouts for d-bay are here.

http://www.fangyigang.com/blog/attachments/200903/7824247022.png

Go go soldering iron.

rorix_bw said:
The pinouts for d-bay are here.

http://www.fangyigang.com/blog/attachments/200903/7824247022.png

Go go soldering iron.
can i take that end off and pout on a regular usb end?

slee95 said:
can i take that end off and pout on a regular usb end?

Not directly, as it has two SMB lines for drive control. I'd need to look up how those worked.

However, it's almost certainly a standard optical drive with a custom controller circuit (interface), so you *should* be able to take the drive itself out of its casing, and fit it into a regular USB external case with a regular interface. The pinout diagram will enable you to identify which are the USBs on the drive end, by tracing them backwards.

Related to (?) on using external dvd cd rom

1. What is an external DVD/CD-ROM drive and why would I need one?

An external DVD/CD-ROM drive is a device that can read and write data from CDs and DVDs. It is an external device that connects to your computer via USB or other ports. You may need one if your computer does not have a built-in DVD/CD-ROM drive or if you need to use it for multiple devices.

2. Can I use an external DVD/CD-ROM drive on any computer?

Yes, as long as the computer has a compatible USB port or other ports for connection. However, you may need to install the necessary drivers for the drive to work properly on certain operating systems.

3. How do I connect an external DVD/CD-ROM drive to my computer?

You can connect it via a USB cable or other ports, depending on the type of drive and the ports available on your computer. Some drives may also require an external power source, so make sure to check the specifications before connecting.

4. Can I use an external DVD/CD-ROM drive to play or burn DVDs/CDs?

Yes, external DVD/CD-ROM drives can be used for both playing and burning DVDs/CDs, just like a built-in drive. However, the speed and capabilities may vary depending on the drive's specifications.

5. What should I look for when purchasing an external DVD/CD-ROM drive?

Some factors to consider are the compatibility with your computer, the speed of reading and writing, the size and weight for portability, and the cost. It is also important to check the reviews and ratings of the drive to ensure its quality and reliability.