On the Coriolis Forcing vector and its Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the differential equation for Q(t) and its exact trajectories given initial conditions. It is noted that Q(t0) = I and RTQ(t)R = Q ⇒ Q(t)R = RQ(t), but the question arises as to whether R necessarily commutes with Q(t) if the initial condition basis vectors for R are arbitrary. It is suggested that the answer may lie in the matrix expression of Q(t) in the { i(t0) , j(t0) , k(t0) } basis.
Gear300
The context for the question is in the attachments (pg1.png, pg2.png, pg3.png), so there is some reading involved. Although, it is a short and simple read if anything. The inquiry is in (inquiry.png).
My understanding of the situation is that Q(t) abides by the differential equation
Q'(t)Q(t)T + Q(t)Q'(t)T = 0 .
So by something akin to Picard's existence theorem on differential equations, we can resolve exact trajectories for Q(t) given initial conditions. The peculiar thing is that
Q(t0) z(t0) = z(t0)
can likely be assumed to be true for all z(t0) ∈ ℝn, in which case
Q(t0) = I
should also be true.
Now if I let R = ( i(t0) , j(t0) , k(t0) ), then
RTR = RRT = I ,
and the question insists that
RTQ(t)R = Q ⇒ Q(t)R = RQ(t).
Although, our choice of the initial condition basis vectors for R is arbitrary, so how can we expect that R necessarily commutes with Q(t)? Unless of course, the question is asking for the matrix expression of Q(t) in the { i(t0) , j(t0) , k(t0) } basis. I am just wondering if I am to expect the matrix expression of Q(t) to remain invariant given any orthonormal basis of the same orientation?
(Also, how do I insert latex?)

Attachments

• pg1.png
    pg1.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 418
  • pg2.png
    pg2.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 452
  • pg3.png
    pg3.png
    16 KB · Views: 380
  • inquiry.png
    inquiry.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, by the looks of it, the matrix expression for Q(t) would change depending on the basis { i(t0) , j(t0) , k(t0) } used. So I suppose the answer is simply in the context of the trajectory of one point.

Related to On the Coriolis Forcing vector and its Matrix

What is the Coriolis Forcing vector?

The Coriolis Forcing vector is a mathematical representation of the Coriolis effect, which is the apparent deflection of objects moving in a straight path on a rotating surface. It is a two-dimensional vector that describes the direction and magnitude of the Coriolis force at a given point on the rotating surface.

How is the Coriolis Forcing vector calculated?

The Coriolis Forcing vector is calculated using the Coriolis parameter, which is a mathematical constant derived from the rotation rate of the surface and the latitude of the point in question. The vector can be calculated using a combination of trigonometric and vector operations.

What is the significance of the Coriolis Forcing vector in atmospheric and oceanic circulation?

The Coriolis Forcing vector plays a crucial role in the large-scale circulation of the Earth's atmosphere and oceans. This vector, along with other forces such as pressure gradients and friction, helps to determine the direction and strength of winds and ocean currents, which in turn influence weather patterns and climate.

What is the Coriolis Forcing matrix?

The Coriolis Forcing matrix is a mathematical representation of the Coriolis Forcing vector in a three-dimensional space. It takes into account the varying direction and magnitude of the Coriolis force at different points in the rotating surface and allows for more accurate calculations of large-scale atmospheric and oceanic circulation.

How does the Coriolis Forcing vector and its matrix affect the trajectory of objects in motion?

The Coriolis Forcing vector and its matrix can cause objects in motion to deviate from their expected path due to the Coriolis effect. This effect is most noticeable on large scales, such as in the movement of hurricanes and ocean currents, but can also have subtle influences on smaller objects such as projectiles. Understanding the Coriolis Forcing vector and its matrix is essential for accurately predicting the trajectory of objects in motion on a rotating surface.