On number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix

In summary, the author is trying to solve a question about parameter independence of certain aspects of the Jacobian of a real valued function on a manifold. He states that both A and B are symmetric and that U is an orthogonal matrix. He tries to show that the number of negative diagonal entries on each D is the same but is not able to do so using geometric methods.
Sina

Homework Statement

When trying to solve a question about parameter independence of certain aspects of the Jacobian of a real valued function on a manifold I came to the point where I have to show the following:

Let A be a matrix, J be the Jacobian of an orthogonal transformation (I suppose we can assume non-reflection) then define B to be B= JTAJ, where A and B are real symmetric. I have to show that both B and A have same number of negative eigenvalues.

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem I think translates into following:

Both A and B are real symmetric so suppose their diagonal forms are respectively D1 and D2 (ie matrices which have eigenvalues for the diagonal entries). Then there is a unitary transformation U such that D2 = UTD1U (an be shown by direct calculation). I have to now show that the number of negative diagonal entries on each D is the same. It seems logical at first because U is an orthogonal matrix but direct calculation does not yield the answer. Moreover when I try to put it into a geometric setting (i.e rotation of vectors) it seems wrong. Am I doing something wrong? edit: I think this might be a wrong approach though because I haven't used the fact that there is a Jacobian as a part of U

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you could show [tex] J^T = J^{-1} [/tex] it would follow pretty quickly

I don't think it is the case, it is just the Jacobian of any orthogonal coordinate transformation (not the transformation itsself)

for a 2D rotation
[tex]u = x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]v = x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/tex]

the jacobian is
[tex]J(x,y) = \begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial u}{\partial y }\\
\frac{\partial v}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial v}{\partial y}
\end{pmatrix} [/tex]

which is looking very similar to the transformation itself...maybe within a T... if you agree, could you generalise that?

Last edited:

Related to On number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix

1. How do I determine the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix?

To determine the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix, you can use the spectral theorem which states that the number of negative eigenvalues is equal to the number of negative entries in the diagonalized form of the matrix. Alternatively, you can also use the Gershgorin circle theorem or the Sylvester's law of inertia to determine the number of negative eigenvalues.

2. Can a matrix have a negative eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have negative eigenvalues. In fact, the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix is one of the important properties of a matrix and can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the matrix.

3. What does a negative eigenvalue of a matrix represent?

A negative eigenvalue of a matrix represents the direction of the corresponding eigenvector in the opposite direction of the original vector. This means that when the eigenvalue is negative, the eigenvector will point in the opposite direction of the original vector.

4. Is the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix always the same?

No, the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix can vary depending on the matrix itself. It is not a fixed value and can change depending on the entries of the matrix.

5. How can the number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix be useful?

The number of negative eigenvalues of a matrix can be useful in many areas of mathematics and science. For example, in linear algebra, it can help in determining the type of matrix (positive definite, negative definite, or indefinite). In physics, it can help in solving problems related to stability and equilibrium. It can also be useful in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of complex systems.