Omggg Determining voltage between point a and b given R = 40 ohms

In summary, the conversation involves determining the voltage between point A and B given a resistance of 40 ohms. The steps include calculating the root mean square voltage, the total impedance, and the final voltage using the sum of squares formula. The individual components of the impedance are also calculated using the formulas for inductive and capacitive reactance. The conversation also includes a correction for a previous mistake and a comment about studying for too long.
riseofphoenix
Omggg :( Determining voltage between point a and b given R = 40 ohms

PHYSICSHELP_zpse6fd0131.png

This is what I did for part A:1) ΔVrms = Vmax(1/√2)
ΔVrms = (145)(0.707)
ΔVrms= 102.53

2) Ztotal = √[R² + (XL - XC)²]

XL = 2πfL
XL = 2π(40)(185 x 10^-3)
XL = 46.49

XC = 1/2πfC
XC = 1/[2π(40)(65 x 10^-6)
XC = 1/0.016336382
XC = 61.21

Ztotal = √[40² + (46.49 - 61.2)²]
Ztotal = √(1600 + 216.67)
Ztotal= √(1816.67)
Ztotal = 42.62

3) ΔVrms = (Irms)(Zab)
ΔVrms = (ΔVrms/Ztotal)(Zab)
ΔVrms = (102.53/42.62)(40)
ΔVrms = (2.405)(40)
ΔVrms = 96.2 V

:eek:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For your Ztotal, why do you subtract the reactance component from the real (resistance) component when you summed them in quadrature (square root of sum of squares)?

gneill said:
For your Ztotal, why do you subtract the reactance component from the real (resistance) component when you summed them in quadrature (square root of sum of squares)?

Oh oops, that's supposed to be a plus...

But I still get the wrong answer :(

I think I may have a mental breakdown...

riseofphoenix said:
Oh oops, that's supposed to be a plus...

But I still get the wrong answer :(

I think I may have a mental breakdown...

What value did you calculate?

gneill said:
What value did you calculate?

The answer is 96.2 :D
Thanks for catching that!
I think I've been studying for too long

Related to Omggg Determining voltage between point a and b given R = 40 ohms

1. What is the formula for determining voltage?

The formula for determining voltage is V = I x R, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. How do you calculate voltage in a circuit?

To calculate voltage in a circuit, you need to know the current and the resistance. You can then use the formula V = I x R to determine the voltage between two points, such as point A and point B.

3. How do you determine the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be determined by using an ohmmeter or by using the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is voltage, and I is current.

4. How does the resistance affect the voltage in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit affects the voltage by determining how much current flows through the circuit. The higher the resistance, the lower the current, and therefore, the lower the voltage.

5. How does changing the value of R affect the voltage?

Changing the value of R affects the voltage by changing the amount of current that flows through the circuit. As the resistance increases, the current decreases, and therefore, the voltage decreases. Similarly, as the resistance decreases, the current increases, and the voltage increases.