Oldest Living Person Ever Documented

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: Bolivia's public records show that Carmelo Flores Laura is the oldest living person ever documented. He is estimated to be between 123 and 124 years old, and is said to still be able to walk without a cane and speak the Aymara language with a firm voice.
zoobyshoe
FRASQUIA, Bolivia (AP) — If Bolivia's public records are correct, Carmelo Flores Laura is the oldest living person ever documented.

They say he turned 123 a month ago.

The native Aymara lives in a straw-roofed dirt-floor hut in an isolated hamlet near Lake Titicaca at 13,100 feet (4,000 meters), is illiterate, speaks no Spanish and has no teeth.

He walks without a cane and doesn't wear glasses. And though he speaks the Aymara language with a firm voice, one must speak directly into his ear to be heard.

"I see a bit dimly. I had good vision before. But I saw you coming," he tells a group of journalists who visited after a local TV report about him...

http://news.yahoo.com/bolivia-records-aymara-herder-123-years-old-202553434.html

One of my grandmothers lived to be 103. She would have gotten to 123, but broke both her hips in her 90's and this forced her to become physically inactive the rest of her life. She went downhill steadily after the bone breaks.

I have to wonder how these long-lived mountain peasants avoid the bone deterioration that leads to hip breaking in the very elderly. Is it simply walking? My grandmother never walked, but she cleaned the house everyday, and did the usual amount of leg use of a homeowner.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
http://news.yahoo.com/bolivia-records-aymara-herder-123-years-old-202553434.html

One of my grandmothers lived to be 103. She would have gotten to 123, but broke both her hips in her 90's and this forced her to become physically inactive the rest of her life. She went downhill steadily after the bone breaks.

I have to wonder how these long-lived mountain peasants avoid the bone deterioration that leads to hip breaking in the very elderly. Is it simply walking? My grandmother never walked, but she cleaned the house everyday, and did the usual amount of leg use of a homeowner.
I think it is mobility and daily use. My paternal grandfather lived to 103.5, but the last 6 months, he went downhill quickly after recurring repiratory infections landed him in bed in hospital. During his 3rd severe infection, it was decided not to resuscitate per his wishes. He did not want extraordinary measures and didn't want to live bed-ridden. He survived his wife by more than 20 years, so he was ready to go.

zoobyshoe said:
One of my grandmothers lived to be 103. She would have gotten to 123 [...]
That is very unlikely - mortality rates are above 50%/year at the age of 115.

There are many claims of extremely old people. As the age distribution of those is different from the age distribution of the confirmed ages, most of the 120+-claims are probably wrong.

I think the lady in France was documented at 120 and some years. A lot of age slowing discussion is currently over calorie restrictive diets. The main principle there is that diseases take energy to form (think of hbp or diabetes, more pumping force or pumping greater viscosity takes more calories) and also that eating more is bad for dna by mutations or some mechanism. Her life was unstressful I think. As for diet, she said lots of olive oil "smothered on all her food" was why she lived so well. She also drank red wine, and smoked (I'm not sure what brand) modernity for some time. But I think the main thing to it was being active, and having a guaranteed roof over one's head. I'm sure genes had something to do with it. It's my opinion, not based on any research studies, that the time of being alive is pre determined, and damage by life style or environment is the only shorting factor, i.e. you can't make yourself live longer, but rather die slower. Living to be one hundred would be great, but trying to control what is not in your own ability is not a way to live care free.

The only currently accepted 120+ claim is that of Jeanne Calment, a French woman from the upper class who was born in 1875, and died in 1997, 122 years and 164 days old.

An earlier 120+ claim is that of Shigechiyo Izumi, who died in 1986, and reputedly born in 1865.
However, it transpired that he most likely was named after an older brother who had died earlier, and that Izumi was only 105 years old when he died.

Related to Oldest Living Person Ever Documented

What is the current age of the oldest living person ever documented?

The current oldest living person ever documented is Kane Tanaka from Japan, who is 118 years old as of September 2021.

What is the average age of the oldest living people ever documented?

The average age of the oldest living people ever documented is around 116 years old.

What factors contribute to a person living to such an old age?

There are various factors that can contribute to a person living to such an old age, including genetics, diet, lifestyle, and access to healthcare. Additionally, some studies have found that people who have a strong sense of purpose and stay socially connected tend to live longer.

Has anyone ever lived past 120 years old?

While there have been claims of people living past 120 years old, the longest documented lifespan is currently 122 years and 164 days, held by Jeanne Calment from France.

Is there a limit to how long a person can live?

While there is no definitive answer to this question, most scientists believe that there is a limit to how long a person can live due to the natural aging process and the limitations of the human body. However, with advancements in medicine and technology, it is possible that the maximum lifespan may increase in the future.