Old Photos & Deep Psychology: Hilbert's Wiki Article

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the point of having black and white pictures of people in an article about their discovery is to show the timeline of their life.
WiFO215
I was reading Wiki's article on D. Hilbert, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space, and couldn't help but smile at that photo of Hilbert with the funny hat. Is it for amusing those who can't make out head or tail of the Wiki article? What's the point of having black and white pictures of people in an article about their discovery? Is there something deep triggered in us when we go, "Boy! Look at that old codger with the beard. Wonder if they had woolly mammoths back then...". Some deep psychological feeling perhaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess a picture like that can nail down the window of time that the scientist lived, for people who only look at the pictures in a wiki article :-p.

Besides, I kind of like that hat. It's a bit big for him...maybe he needed some extra Hilbert space up there.

lisab said:
I guess a picture like that can nail down the window of time that the scientist lived, for people who only look at the pictures in a wiki article :-p.

Heeeyyy... Just what are you insinuating? I read some bits of the article too! :redface:

anirudh215 said:
Heeeyyy... Just what are you insinuating? I read some bits of the article too! :redface:

I'm willing to bet you read more than I did :-p!

What is the point?

Because he looks more handsome in the hat. It is almost the most famous hat in the History of Science!

A still more famous one was Oppenheimer's hat. It was so famous it could be identified immediately by conoscenti without Oppenheimer under it.

A perhaps more deservedly famous and historically influential hat is the wooden one of William Murdoch, inventor of gas lighting (I wonder if the hat was a fire risk?) and other significant things.

Brunel was usually photographed in a hat, also called stovepipe. He had to be more outdoors than most scientists. I imagine he took it off when in his tunnels.

The only portrait always given for Gauss shows him in a hat, but it looks like a nightcap. The origin of academic caps is that lecture theatres used to be cold.

Does anyone else know any famous scientists' hats?

Edit: Giuseppe Verdi had a hat. He was a composer not a scientist though. If I remember he made his hat famous by wearing it on banknotes, where it would be seen by a lot of people.

Last edited:
lisab said:
I'm willing to bet you read more than I did :-p!

The correct reply was, "Yeah, yeah, keep your hat on." :wink:

Related to Old Photos & Deep Psychology: Hilbert's Wiki Article

1. What is the significance of old photos in deep psychology?

In deep psychology, old photos can provide insight into a person's past experiences and relationships, which can contribute to their current psychological state. They can also serve as a visual representation of memories and emotions that may be difficult for a person to express verbally.

2. Who is Hilbert and what is his Wiki article about?

David Hilbert was a German mathematician known for his contributions to the field of mathematics and his famous list of 23 unsolved problems in mathematics. His Wiki article discusses his life, work, and impact on the field of mathematics.

3. Can old photos be used as evidence in psychological evaluations?

Yes, old photos can be used as evidence in psychological evaluations. They can provide important information about a person's past experiences and relationships, which can help psychologists better understand their current psychological state and provide appropriate treatment.

4. How do old photos relate to the concept of memory in deep psychology?

Old photos can serve as a trigger for memories and emotions, and can also help individuals reconstruct and revisit past events. In deep psychology, memories play a crucial role in understanding a person's psyche and emotional well-being.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with using old photos in psychological research?

Yes, there can be ethical concerns with using old photos in psychological research. It is important to obtain informed consent from individuals whose photos will be used, and to protect their privacy and confidentiality. Researchers should also consider the potential impact of using these photos on the participants' emotional well-being.