Old Parlor Game: Describe the Path, Knife, Bottle, Water & Building

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player finds a knife, a bottle, a body of water, and a building along their journey. They chose not to cross the water and enter the building because it was too fancy. They also left a knife, a bottle, and a butter knife at different points along the way. The water was shallow and slow enough for the player to cross, and they found a warm and cozy cabin upon entering.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Back in the olden days before there were internets and ipods and thousands of cable channels for entertainment, we made up games to amuse ourselves. This one was passed around quite a lot and is supposed to give insight into your life. Keep in mind that it is just a silly game for amusement and not to be taken seriously.

I'll post the questions first. You have to use your imagination to answer them and there are no wrong answers. Tomorrow I'll post the "decoding" information in white. (Please don't spoil it if you've already seen this.)

1) You are starting off on a journey and find yourself walking down a path. How would you describe the path? Is it paved, smooth, rocky, etc? What do you see around you?

2) As you walk along the path, you come across a knife. What does it look like? What do you do with it?

3) Further along, you come across a bottle. What does it look like? What do you do with it?

4) Next you come across a body of water. How would you describe it? What do you do?

5) At the end of your journey you come to a building. How would you describe it? What do you do?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) it is rocky, but navigable
2) It is a small dagger, double-edged. I tuck it in my sleeve
3) the bottle is small, and I don't know what it holds. I put it in my jacket pocket.
4) If the body is large, I look for a way across. If it is a brook or a shallow stream, I find a way across, and make note of the ford in case I need to use it again.
5) I look at the building and take comfort if it is simple and utilitarian and enter, asking permission. If the building is ornate and fancy, I would avoid it.

turbo-1 said:
4) If the body is large, I look for a way across. If it is a brook or a shallow stream, I find a way across, and make note of the ford in case I need to use it again.
5) I look at the building and take comfort if it is simple and utilitarian and enter, asking permission. If the building is ornate and fancy, I would avoid it.

Note: You have to choose one option.

Math Is Hard said:
Next you come across a body of water. How would you describe it? What do you do?

5) At the end of your journey you come to a building. How would you describe it? What do you do?
4) The water is shallow enough and slow enough that I can find a way across. I do not cross just yet, but know that I can.
5)the building is large and fancy. I stay away from it.

Math Is Hard said:
1) You are starting off on a journey and find yourself walking down a path. How would you describe the path? Is it paved, smooth, rocky, etc? What do you see around you?
It is a dirt path, little traveled, slightly overgrown.

Math Is Hard said:
2) As you walk along the path, you come across a knife. What does it look like? What do you do with it?

It is a rusted butter knife, I leave it there.

Math Is Hard said:
3) Further along, you come across a bottle. What does it look like? What do you do with it?

It's a small green beer bottle, I leave it there as well.

Math Is Hard said:
4) Next you come across a body of water. How would you describe it? What do you do?

A large sparkling ocean, I continue walking, but along the beach.

Math Is Hard said:

A large square building, I ignore it and go home.

1. Smooth. beautiful forests the path leads to a lake

2. Oooh, it's a white japanese ceramic knife, I hold onto it.

3. The bottle is of cobalt blue glass, I put it in my purse.

4. It's the lake, crystal clear water I sit and dangle my feet into the water.

5. It's a beautiful stone cabin over looking the lake. I start a fire in the fireplace. I place the flowers I picked into the bottle and make dinner with my knife.

1) Smooth, quiet, green, trees, a creek running along the road, it's bright and sunny. Area is hilly. Temperature is around 20 C.
2) Shiny and straight kitchen knife with a black handle. It's about 10 cm long. I ignore it and continue walking
3) It looks very clean. I fill it with water
4) Water is clean and clear.
5) It's a small house, made of wood. It's quite warm and cozy inside. I go inside and find myself staring at an old wooden desk; it has a candle, a big mug, and few books.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I haven't seen this in ..ummm a very long time. How fun.

It's okay if I just watch, right? :smile:

GeorginaS said:
It's okay if I just watch, right? :smile:

Yes, but realize that I will be psychobabble-analyzing you all based on your responses, whether you answered the questions or not. You will be first. Hypatia will be second. :devil:

Eeep! Okay, when's the deadline, then? I mean, if you're going to all psychobabble on me and whatnot, I at least want a fighting chance. :smile:

Evo said:
1. Smooth. beautiful forests the path leads to a lake

I thought of lake before deciding on a small creek, I couldn't fit a big lake into my tiny imagination space.

Math Is Hard said:

It's a dirt path, fairly smooth, and well traveled. There are tree's all around.

It looks like a steak knife. Someone has lost it. I wipe it clean and put it in my backpack.
It's a very old bottle, of an odd shape that I have never seen. And the glass itself is so thin that a machine would have broken it at first touch. It is like the gossamer wing of a dragonfly. I carry it gently in my hands.
An immense river. There is no way to cross. I stare for what seems like an eternity, in awe.

An outhouse. Finally. A place to pee. And do.

Math Is Hard said:
Back in the olden days before there were internets and ipods and thousands of cable channels for entertainment, we made up games to amuse ourselves. This one was passed around quite a lot and is supposed to give insight into your life. Keep in mind that it is just a silly game for amusement and not to be taken seriously.

I'll post the questions first. You have to use your imagination to answer them and there are no wrong answers. Tomorrow I'll post the "decoding" information in white. (Please don't spoil it if you've already seen this.)

it's a dirt path, rutted where the rain has run down...but it doesn't get much wear, it's narrow and hard to follow. It's brown dirt in the rut, sticky. But there are bare rocks to walk on now and then, and the grass is tall on either side. It's easier to walk in the grass next to the path.

it's a homemade knife, very rough but sharp. Wooden handle, lots of wear on it. I put it (carefully) in my pocket.

it's a coke bottle. The gods must be crazy. I leave it there.

it's a pond, very nice. There's a small island with a lot of ducks and other water birds. So I stop and watch the birds a while. I find a branch maybe 4" thick, so I whittle it a bit, try to make a little duck :smile:.

It's a nice cabin, small but neat. It's my home. I go inside and make some toast.

This reminds me of those old text-based adventure games.

1.) It's a classic woodland game-trail in fall.
2.) It's a Hibben with a wound oilskin hilt wrapping , I give it a practice throw, and keep it.
3.) It's an older soda bottle, green glass with some minor detailing. I leave it be, and appreciate lisab's reference.
4.) Nice puddle.
5.) When is a house a home? When it's mine, and I'm home. I am, it's hardwood exterior and shingle roof are quite inviting; I go in.

1) Somewhat rocky, but it's mostly a smooth trail. very green and tree's are all around.

2) Switchblade... May be evidence for something. I pick it up, careful not to mark it, and put it in my pocket.

3) Green beer bottle, something cheap. I would love to pick it up to throw away, but I can't considering the switchblade I'm holding.

4) It's a small pond. On one side I can see a small little makeshift raft, which doesn't look very stable. I take a close look for a body or evidence of a crime, but don't see anything. It's not in my way, so I move on.

5) It's a small wooden building, about 3' x 3'. Ceiling is somewhat slanted with obvious duct-work heading down. After opening the door I see that the interior is occupied by a hollow seat, and it has a musty smell that isn't at all what I expected. After a few moments of hesitation I make the decision to enter. Determining that the small area is relativity safe and spider-free, I decide to- um, use it.

1) I looked behind and everywhere and saw no one, where are they? I decided to walk along the path on my own, it was a smooth path, a bit rocky though, with sands all around, the wind didn’t help, I had to cover my face with my scarf.

2) It wasn’t a knife, it was a sword, it was very light, not old but dirty, it has some writings on its right side, had to clean it to know what it says. I looked back where it was, and saw its scabbard, I took it and kept moving ahead.

3) It was an old coke bottle, it was very clean, despite the sand in the bottle. I took it.

4) An oasis! Very eye pleasant to see, as I come closer, I can see small blue fishes swimming in a very clear water, it was cold and so refreshing, I filled the bottle, I thought of cleaning the sward but thought it’s not time for it, I still have a long way to go…

5) A huge building appeared from distance, it was getting larger as I approach it, it has very high walls, no windows, I walked around trying to find a door to enter, there was none! Except for a little locked entrance, with a small keyboard on its side, above it, there's a line engraved on the wall, it says: “the word”! I had no idea what to do, no idea what’s behind those walls and ran out of water… NOW, what would you do if you were my place? :biggrin:

Nice game Math Is Hard, can't wait to hear you analyzing this :p

I had the old homestead landscaped last year. There's a winding path through my side and back yards. I walk along it until I get to my patio table. There sits my wife looking tanned and beautiful.

On the table I find a butter knife. Also some excellent brie and a plate of water crackers. I spread some cheese on one of the crackers for myself and another for my wife. I set them aside for a moment.

I also find a bottle of champagne. It's a good year. I pour two small glasses, just enough to go with the cheese and crackers.

The patio table is next to the pool. We take off our robes and jump in for a short swim.

Now we're suitably relaxed and ready for adventure. We go inside to the parlor and try to think up a game to play.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:

It's a soft dirt path winding through a forest of pine trees. Thick enough for a shady aura but clear enough at walking height to see for quite a ways.

It's a butter knife and I put it in my pack. Who knows, I might come across some muffins and butter.

It's an old dusty wine bottle. While I like the idea of wine, this one's empty, so I leave it behind.

It's a cool stream with a few rocks in it, some ripples from the water running over the rocks. I take a drink, soak my hat in it, and wade across.

It's an old abandoned building made of grey stones, set off from the path. I look in the windows and it has no furniture or floor - just old brush from the trail and cobwebs.

1. A dirt path with some rocks scattered buried in it.
2. The knife is a small hunting knife with the non-sharp edge being serrated at the bottom.
3. The bottle is a wine bottle. I pick it up and throw it.
4. The body of water is a pretty big lake. I wash off the knife.
5. The building looks like some sort of office building. I go inside to call someone to come get me.

I think you folks play too many video games. Who picks up random knives and bottles lying along a path, except in RPG video games?

Jack21222 said:
I think you folks play too many video games. Who picks up random knives and bottles lying along a path, except in RPG video games?
You'd be suprised what I'll pick up and bring home.

A narrow gravel path with a seven foot red brick wall on either side

A steak knife, I leave it there.

A brown beer bottle, I leave it there.

A small marshy pond with reeds growing in it, I walk around it.

An office type building, I walk past it.

OK so here is the key, in white:

1. The path represents how you view your life
2. The knife represents your relationship with your father
3. The bottle represents your relationship with your mother
4. The body of water represents your feelings about sex
5. The building represents your feelings about death

Math Is Hard said:
OK so here is the key, in white:

1. The path represents how you view your life
2. The knife represents your relationship with your father
3. The bottle represents your relationship with your mother
4. The body of water represents your feelings about sex
5. The building represents your feelings about death
It makes no sense yet. Analyse me first!

Whaaaaat?

You're all very troubled. Here are some analyses:

Georgina: clearly a voyeur
Hypatia: likes her privacy and for good reason. She has dark secrets, possible mafia ties
Turbo: frustrated by an Ed Wood-like desire to pet cashmere sweaters
Evo: a Pollyanna idealist. Doomed to dissapointment
Rootx: Child of saintly mother, and no woman lives up to this established paragon of virtue. Doomed to dissapointment.
NeoDevin: Detached, aloof, and independent. Has a unibomber shack somewhere.

Math Is Hard said:

Hypatia: likes her privacy and for good reason. She has dark secrets, possible mafia ties
Rootx: Child of saintly mother, and no woman lives up to this established paragon of virtue. Doomed to dissapointment.
:smile: Excellent!

Math Is Hard said:
Dunno. Are there busty babes in the sweaters?

Wow, I clearly do have issues. I agree wholeheartedly on my feelings about death.

Math Is Hard said:

Should I be worried that even I don't know about this shack? Maybe I have multiple personalities, and we're hiding things from myself?

1) It's a straight, smooth, dirt road; short green grass and some trees a bit further off on both sides; it's over-cast but still bright.

2) It's old and rusty, a kitchen knife of sorts. I looks for somewhere to throw it away, but there isn't, so I take it, hoping to dispose of it later.

3) It a green bottle, like a beer bottle, but stripped of all stickers, etc.; it's clean.

4) It's a grey river, about 2 metres across, and grey, not flowing fast, and about waist deep. I try scooping out all the water with the bottle. Obviously that doesn't work, so I just wade across. (Apparently I've left the road, I must have been day-dreaming).

5) It's a grey, medieval looking castle. No one seems to be around. I don't do anything, that's where the vision ends.

Oops, I didn't see your post in white, Math Is Hard, I'm sorry for being late.

Math Is Hard said:

:eek::smile:

I went into death and fixed myself some toast :eek:!