Old GPA Haunting Second Degree/Transfer

• Programs
  • Thread starter risingcodeninja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa
In summary, the speaker has a first degree in sociology from 2000 and recently enrolled in a low-cost private college for a second degree in computer science. They are not happy at the current college and want to transfer, but their CGPA from their previous degree is too low for admission to better schools. They are looking for recommendations on schools that may put more weight on their current grades and also mention their preference for a medium-sized school with good academic reputation, located in a warm climate. They also mention having double URM status, being a veteran, and having a disability as potential "hooks" for admission. They plan on retaking courses or taking departmental exams to replace low grades in order to improve their GPA.
risingcodeninja
I got my first degree in sociology way back in 2000. Last year, I decided to pursue a second degree in computer science and enrolled at a tiny, private LAC that I chose solely based on low cost. I just completed my first year there and did well, earning a 3.6 GPA. However, I'm not happy at the college and want to transfer.

The issue I'm facing is that my CGPA from my prior undergraduate work is low. The better schools require a CGPA of 2.5 for transfer admission and I fall just short at 2.4 even after adding in my current grades (I keep a spreadsheet). Being that I'm looking into state schools (I'm a veteran, so I can pay in-state rates in several states), I won't have the opportunity to explain on applications that I have a serious autoimmune disease that was beginning to manifest way back when, and was not diagnosed until 2004 - four years after I graduated.

So, I'm hoping that some of you knowledgeable folks here could point me in the direction of some schools that have solid academics, academic reputations, and that would **put more weight on my current grades** than grades 15+ years old. I'm also open to private universities, but I know transfers don't get a lot of merit aid, etc.

Here's some more info that might help:

School Size: Medium. Not so small that course rotation is limited to once a year for required/core CS courses. Large enough that a good and interesting selection of elective CS courses are offered every semester. Large enough that there's enough faculty members to teach the courses that need to be taught, including the electives (or why else even list them in the catalog like my current school does). Undergraduate research opportunities, tech recruiters at job fairs, etc.

Location: City/Suburban. Proximity to internship sites, Amtrak, airport. I do have a car. Prefer warm climates, but can handle Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic winters. I survived the Catskills' winters in upstate NY, but barely, LOL. I'm from South Carolina, so yeah... don't send me to Rochester or Buffalo, NY or insanely cold places like that. I'll cry real tears, LOL.

Hooks: Double URM for STEM major (black female), veteran, have a disability.

Major: Computer Science w/ minor in Physics OR Physics w/ minor in Computer Science (I have 18 hrs of 300/400 level CS credits, plus Discrete Math which is a 200-level course at my current school; at some schools these 21 credits are enough for a minor already and for others I'm sure I'm pretty close). Engineering Physics if available. One word: Nanotechnology.

ETA: Just to keep all my options open, I'm taking the GRE on Monday. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First, contact your original school where you have your low GPA. Ask them to drop or remove a bad grade (chances are they won't, but hey, you can ask). Next, ask if you can take a department exam or retake a course or two. Pick the ones that you did poorly in, not a B and get an A, but a C, D or F and get replaced with a new grade or often just a Pass/Fail. Pass/Fail often is usually removed from your GPA if you pass (counts as an F if fail). But some schools do have Pass/Fail options that they make available for department exams (you didn't sit in the classroom and earn a grade, you simply demonstrated adequate knowledge of the course).
You would ideally take D or C grades that were originally on your transcripts and have them replaced by taking a departmental exam and passing. The class grade would then be converted to a P and would be taken out of the college transcript GPA formula. Attempting 2-3 classes like this might help. Most colleges have some courses where they can offer you a department exam for a certain fee (may be the actual cost of the course, but some colleges won't gouge you).
I attended one school that allowed me to test out of chemistry vs transferring in a poor grade. That same school also allowed me to replace a low grade in Calc II with a higher grade upon completion of their Calc II (most schools keep both grades for GPA calculation).

Related to Old GPA Haunting Second Degree/Transfer

1. What is the "Old GPA Haunting" phenomenon in regards to second degree or transfer students?

"Old GPA Haunting" refers to the effect of a previous academic record, specifically a low GPA, on a student's admission or progress in a second degree program or when transferring to a new school. It can also refer to the lingering stress and anxiety caused by a low GPA and the fear of it negatively impacting future academic opportunities.

2. How common is the "Old GPA Haunting" issue for second degree or transfer students?

The prevalence of this issue varies, but it is not uncommon for second degree or transfer students to face challenges related to their previous academic record. In some cases, a low GPA may prevent a student from being admitted to a program or may result in additional academic requirements.

3. What can students do to address the "Old GPA Haunting" issue?

There are several steps students can take to address this issue. First, they can be proactive and openly communicate with the admissions office or academic advisors about their previous academic record and any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to a low GPA. They can also work to improve their GPA through additional coursework or retaking classes. Additionally, students can highlight their strengths and achievements outside of their GPA, such as relevant work experience or extracurricular activities.

4. Are there any strategies for preventing the "Old GPA Haunting" issue?

One way to prevent this issue is to maintain a strong academic record throughout college. However, this may not always be possible due to various circumstances. Another strategy is to be proactive and address any academic struggles as soon as they arise, seeking support from academic advisors or tutors. Building a strong network of mentors and references can also help in the future if the "Old GPA Haunting" issue does arise.

5. How can schools and universities better support second degree or transfer students dealing with the "Old GPA Haunting" issue?

Schools and universities can support these students by providing resources and support services to help them address any academic challenges and improve their GPA. They can also work with these students individually to create a plan for success and provide guidance on how to address any concerns about their previous academic record in their application or during the admissions process. Additionally, creating a more holistic admissions process that considers a student's entire academic and personal profile, rather than just their GPA, can also help alleviate the "Old GPA Haunting" issue.