Oklahoma Tornado Video: Watch It Start

In summary, the Oklahoma Tornado Video captures the beginning moments of a destructive tornado as it forms and starts its path of destruction. The video shows the dark clouds swirling and the strong winds picking up debris as the tornado gains strength. The footage also includes interviews with witnesses who describe the terrifying experience of witnessing the tornado firsthand. The video serves as a reminder of the destructive power of natural disasters and the importance of being prepared for them.
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to wonder why this guy wasn't driving like a bat out of hell in the other direction. I sure would have been.

Me too. A few years ago, I had dropped Evo Child off at a friend's and the tornado sirens started. They had a basement, and they were headed down, so I left her there. Driving home on the highway, there were three tornadoes in a row touched down, but miles away on the horizon. That was still too close for me. The tornadoes were in open fields, so only a couple of barns were damaged, but as more and more land is developed, more people end up with homes in what used to be open fields.

phinds said:
You have to wonder why this guy wasn't driving like a bat out of hell in the other direction. I sure would have been.
I think the tornado was moving across his field of vision.

Astronuc said:
I think the tornado was moving across his field of vision.
Uhm...yeah...but tornadoes are notorious for changing direction. So, I don't get your point. What he did was extremely dangerous. People shouldn't try that.

Evo said:
Uhm...yeah...but tornadoes are notorious for changing direction. So, I don't get your point. What he did was extremely dangerous. People shouldn't try that.
He rationalized he was OK. He repositioned the car a few times somewhat ahead and to the side of the path. Did he take a risk? Certainly.

The Weather Channel often shows 'storm/tornado chasers'. Most people shouldn't do that, but I think some are savvy enough to be responsible, especially if they monitor with radar and proper information.

Great video! Tornadoes are scary , I don't know how you guys in the tornado valley can live there with storms like this.

phinds said:

Us storm chasers never drive away from storm/tornadoes -- its what we live for ;)
heck my wife and I fly all the way to the USA just to get into the right spot in front of the storm to be able to photo/video it :)

Dave

davenn said:
Us storm chasers never drive away from storm/tornadoes -- its what we live for ;)
heck my wife and I fly all the way to the USA just to get into the right spot in front of the storm to be able to photo/video it :)

Dave
This guy wasn't a storm chaser though, it was a local resident.

Incredible video my Dad took of the May 20th tornado FORMING and destroying everything in its path near Newcastle," the user wrote

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/video-moore-tornado-formation-oklahoma-170200551.html

davenn said:

Sounds like you and your wife haven't been reading the small print on the back of the rental car agreement... :smile:

Astronuc said:
He repositioned the car a few times somewhat ahead and to the side of the path.
He was driving around in the same parking lot, that hardly qualifies as staying out of the path of a massive tornado...? The footage is imposing, how the funnel turns brown at some point.. glad I don't have to deal with such storms.

Related to Oklahoma Tornado Video: Watch It Start

1. What caused the Oklahoma tornado?

The Oklahoma tornado was caused by a combination of warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico colliding with cool, dry air from the Rocky Mountains. This created the perfect conditions for a thunderstorm to form and eventually develop into a tornado.

2. How long did the tornado last?

The tornado in Oklahoma lasted for approximately 40 minutes, from 2:45pm to 3:25pm on May 20th, 2013. It traveled a distance of about 17 miles and reached a maximum width of 1.3 miles.

3. How strong was the tornado?

The tornado was classified as an EF5, the highest rating on the Enhanced Fujita Scale. It had wind speeds of 210-295 mph and caused extensive damage to buildings and homes in its path.

4. How was the video of the tornado starting captured?

The video of the tornado starting was captured by storm chaser Brandon Sullivan using a high-definition camera and tripod. He was positioned about a mile away from the tornado and was able to capture the entire formation process.

5. How common are tornadoes in Oklahoma?

Oklahoma is located in an area known as "Tornado Alley" and experiences an average of 62 tornadoes per year. However, the state has seen some of the most deadly and destructive tornadoes in US history, including the 2013 Moore tornado captured in this video.