OK to post an unanswered question from, e.g., Math Stackexchange?

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary: It is pure numerology. Strip out all the fluff (namely the logarithms and the arbitrary 69324), and you are left with a broad and uninteresting statement.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
If a question posted on Math Stack Exchange, for example, goes unanswered for a couple of days, is it OK to post it on one of the math forums here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
If a question posted on Math Stack Exchange, for example, goes unanswered for a couple of days, is it OK to post it on one of the math forums here?
Depends. Is it possibly from a student trying to cheat in their coursework? Or it is obiously from some mathematician who is having trouble with a difficult problem at their work? I'm pretty sure you know our rules for schoolwork-type questions...

Likes topsquark
Not coursework, but in my case an interesting numerical observation that this retired engineer and math hobbyist is curious about.

Swamp Thing said:
Not coursework, but in my case an interesting numerical observation that this retired engineer and math hobbyist is curious about.
How do you know it's not for coursework? Can you post a link?

Likes topsquark
Swamp Thing said:
Thanks, that looks like a general math question and not for schoolwork.

Swamp Thing said:
Since you find the general math question interesting, I think you can post it here in the math forums with your own LaTeX problem statement and show your initial work on it. Hopefully if we can help you out, in the end you can post a link at SE to our solution at PF just to show them where to go next time... :wink:

• Love
Likes dlgoff, mfb, topsquark and 1 other person
OK, thanks -- I'll give it a couple of days more and then post here if still unanswered.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Since you find the general math question interesting, I think you can post it here in the math forums with your own LaTeX problem statement and show your initial work on it. Hopefully if we can help you out, in the end you can post a link at SE to our solution at PF just to show them where to go next time... :wink:
Can't we answer it now? Please :smile::smile::smile:?!?

Likes topsquark
Actually, I'll answer it without waiting for @berkeman's permission, since there is no point for @Swamp Thing to start a thread that will be quickly locked/deleted.

It is pure numerology. Strip out all the fluff (namely the logarithms and the arbitrary 69324), and you are left with a broad and uninteresting statement. You have
$$
\frac{p_1}{p_2} \approx 2^{N/69324}
$$
Considering the extent of what the author thinks as acceptable values of ##N##, namely anything between 120050 and 599310, you can change the above equation to the inequality
$$
3 < \frac{p_1}{p_2} < 400
$$
So, given a prime ##p_2##, can you find another prime that is between 3 and 400 bigger? Yeah, I guess so :smile:

• Haha
Likes mfb, Swamp Thing, berkeman and 3 others
To simplify a bit, ## 2^{N/69324}## for that range of N generates lots of numbers between 3 and 400, with a spacing of about ##10^{-13}##. So you can easily hit any p1/p2 with an error of that order. So the sample numbers seem to be actually doing not so well, considering.

Likes DrClaude

Related to OK to post an unanswered question from, e.g., Math Stackexchange?

1. Can I post an unanswered question from another website on Math Stackexchange?

Yes, as long as the question is relevant to the topic and follows the guidelines of the website. It is also recommended to provide a link to the original question and give credit to the original poster.

2. Will posting an unanswered question from another website increase my chances of getting an answer?

Possibly. Posting on a different platform may expose your question to a different audience, increasing the chances of receiving an answer. However, it is not guaranteed and it is still important to follow the guidelines and provide all necessary information for your question to be answered.

3. Is it considered plagiarism to post an unanswered question from another website?

No, as long as you give credit to the original poster and do not copy their question word for word. It is important to reword the question and provide your own context and details.

4. Can I post an unanswered question from a different topic on Math Stackexchange?

No, Math Stackexchange is specifically for math-related questions. It is important to post your question on the appropriate platform to ensure that you receive relevant and accurate answers.

5. How long should I wait before reposting an unanswered question from another website on Math Stackexchange?

It is recommended to wait at least 24 hours before reposting a question on a different platform. This gives enough time for the original poster to respond and for other users to see and potentially answer your question. However, it is important to check the guidelines of the website to see if there are any specific rules regarding reposting questions.